Here are Class 12 Biology Multiple Choice Questions and Answers with detailed explanations for Schools.
1. Which of the following cannot be obtained in a dairy farm?
Explanation: Different kinds of products which can be obtained from milk in a dairy farm are cream, curd, buttermilk, Ghee, Condensed milk, powdered milk and cheese.
2. Which of the following animals would you not expect in a dairy farm?
Explanation: Animals that you could expect in a dairy farm are a cow, buffalo, sheep and goat for milk production. Some dairy farms have cats to keep the place free of rodents.
3. How many breeds of cattle are present in India?
Explanation: There are 26 breeds of cattle and seven breeds of buffaloes which differ in their body colour, horn and forehead. Buffaloes serve as the primary source of milk- the only dietary animal protein for the majority of Indians.
4. What is a bullock?
a) Fertile female cow
b) Fertile male cow
c) Infertile female cow
d) Castrated male cow
Explanation: Bullocks are castrated male cows. They have been used in agricultural operations and drawing carts. Their young forms are called steers.
5. Draught breed includes cows with good milk production but male with poor working capacity.
Explanation: Milch breed includes cow with good milk production but males with poor working capacity. Draught breed includes cows with poor milk production but males with good working capacity.
6. Which of the following is an example of Milch breed?
Explanation: Examples of Milch breed are Sahiwal, Red Sindhi, Gir and Deoni. Draught breed includes Nageri, Hallikar, Malvi and Kangayam.
7. Which breed of cows has good milk production as well as includes males with good working capacity?
a) Milch breed
b) Exotic breed
c) General utility breed
d) Draught breed
Explanation: General utility breed includes cows with good milk production and males with good working capacity. It includes Haryana, Kankrej, Tharparkar and Ongole.
8. What are exotic breeds?
a) A Breed of animals living in an area
b) Foreign breeds of animals introduced in a region
c) A Breed of animals who got separated from their ancestors
d) A breed of endangered animals
Explanation: Exotic breeds are foreign breeds of animals which are introduced in a country and require a special environment. For example, Holstein-Friesian, Brown Swiss, Jersey, etc.
9. Which country does the following breed of cattle belong to?
Explanation: The given diagram represents Jersey which is an exotic breed from England. Jersey is hybridised with non-descript cattle of Kerala to get Sunandini.
10. Which of the following is an exotic breed from Holland?
b) Brown Swiss
d) Red Dane
Explanation: Holstein-Friesian is an exotic breed from Holland. Ayrshire, Brown Swiss and Red Dane are exotic breeds from Scotland, Switzerland and Denmark respectively.
11. Cows generally yield more milk of high-fat content.
Explanation: Compared to cows, buffaloes generally yield more milk of high-fat content. The number of buffaloes is one-half of cows but their milk is superior to cow’s milk in the fat as well as mineral contents. Buffaloes also have greater disease resistance and longevity.
12. Why do buffaloes prefer to go in the water during summers?
a) They are lazy
b) They like water
c) They like the taste of water
d) They have the low heat tolerance
Explanation: During summers, as they have black bodies which only absorbs heat and does not radiate it, so they prefer cool place or wallows in watery comfort. This way they could escape the scorching heat of the sun in summers.
More Biology MCQs for Schools:
To practice all chapters and topics of Biology for Schools, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10