This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 4 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Reproductive Health – Injectable Contraceptives and Implants”.
1. What contraceptives are placed under the skin?
d) Intrauterine methods
Explanation: Implants are placed under the skin. They release hormonal doses to inhibit pregnancy. Although effective, they have many side-effects ranging from irregular menstruation, weight gain, abdominal pain, headaches, depression and so on.
2. Rape cannot result in pregnancy.
Explanation: Rape is an unethical but a sexual act. It is coitus, and if the female is in or near the ovulatory phase, rape can result in fertilization of egg and thus pregnancy.
3. What contraceptive cannot be used after unprotected intercourse?
Explanation: Condoms are aimed at preventing the mixing of vaginal and seminal fluids. They will not prevent pregnancy after intercourse. Pills, implants, and injections can do the job.
4. What are the two hormones that can be used to prevent pregnancy in the form of injections or implants?
a) Progesterone and Estrogen
b) Progesterone and Testosterone
c) Estrogen and Testosterone
d) Estrogen and Oxytocin
Explanation: Implants and injections have more prolonged effects than oral contraceptives. They work similarly to pills. These are composed of mixtures of progesterone and estrogen.
5. Which of the following can serve as an emergency contraceptive?
c) Spermicidal gels
d) Spermicidal lubes
Explanation: Progestogen and estrogen combinations are used as emergency contraceptives. They can be administered as pills, injections, or implants.
6. Progestogen and progestogen-estrogen combinations work only up to 72 hours after casual unprotected intercourse.
Explanation: Progestogen and progestogen-estrogen contraceptives work by preventing the release of egg or by inhibiting the entry of sperm into the fallopian tube or by preventing fertilization. Hence they should be administered within 72 hours of coitus. After 72 hours, the chances of egg being fertilized are very high.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10