This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 7 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Origin and Evolution of Man – 1”.
1. Man belongs to the super family ______
Explanation: Hominoidae is the super family of man. Man belong to the family Hominidae. The order of man is Primates and class is Mammalia.
2. Who called humans as Homo sapiens wiseman?
a) Carolus Linnaeus
b) Hugo de Vries
c) Joseph Walter
d) Charles Darwin
Explanation: The first scientific name of man was given by Carolus Linnaeus. He called them Homo sapiens wiseman. He added wiseman to the name as it was the only organism with high brain capacity.
3. Huxley explained origin of man in his book _______
a) the man’s place in world
b) the man’s place in earth
c) the man’s place in nature
d) the man’s place in universe
Explanation: Origin of man was explained in Huxley’s book called “The man’s place in nature”. It shows the connection of man with nature and how he adapted to survive in nature.
4. What did Darwin explain in his book “The descent of man”?
a) Ancestry of man
b) Evolution of organism
c) Origin of life
d) Production of man
Explanation: Charles Darwin wrote the book “The descent of man”. In his book, he mainly focusses on the ancestry of man and how man originated into its current form. He talks about the development of man and also the different races within man.
5. Human is a member of order mammalia and class primates.
Explanation: It is a wrong statement. The order of humans is primates and they belong to the class mammalia. Their genus is Homo and species Sapiens.
6. Primates originated during which era?
Explanation: They originated 80 – 100 million years ago. They belong to palaeocene epoch of coenozoic era. Primates originated from elephant shrews but they were not real primates.
7. The first real primates were _______
a) elephant shrews
b) tree shrews
c) monkey shrews
d) ape shrews
Explanation: Tree shrews were the first real primates originated in palaeocene epoch. They have two pairs of mammary glands, V-shaped jaw, shorter snout. Claws are absent and nails present on digits.
8. Humans, apes and monkeys belongs to ______
Explanation: Prosimians and Anthropoids are two sub orders of primates. Humans, apes and monkeys belong to Anthropoids whereas Lemur, loris and tarsiers belong to Prosimians.
9. Rhesus monkey belongs to _______
a) new world monkeys
b) old world monkeys
c) parallel world monkeys
d) future world monkeys
Explanation: Rhesus also known as Macaca belongs to old world monkeys. They belong to Africa and Asia. They are characterized by a narrow flat nose with downward direction of nostril.
10. New world monkey evolved from _______
a) South and Middle America
b) North and Middle East
c) South Africa
Explanation: Spider monkey and marmosets belongs to the new world monkeys. The new world monkey evolved from South and Middle America. They are characterized by a protruding nose with upward direction of nostril.
11. The following figure shows an example of a primate, commonly known as ______
a) Elephant shrew
b) Tree shrew
Explanation: Tupaia, a tree shrew is shown in the diagram. Claws are absent and nails are present on digits. By nature, they are insectivorous.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10