This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 4 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Reproductive Health – Intrauterine Devices”.
1. What methods are inserted into the uterus through the vagina to prevent pregnancy?
a) Natural methods
b) Barrier methods
c) Oral methods
d) Intrauterine methods
Explanation: Intrauterine devices are inserted into the uterus through the vagina. Expert doctors do this. It is a contraceptive measure.
2. Intrauterine methods exist only for females.
Explanation: Intrauterine methods are designed to be inserted into uterus through vagina. These exist only for females. There is no similar counterpart for males because the act of fertilization occurs in the female genital tract.
3. IUDs stand for _______
a) Intra Uterine Devices
b) Inter Uterine Devices
c) Intra Uterine Diseases
d) Inter Uterine Diseases
Explanation: IUDs stand for Intra Uterine Devices. These are designed to be inserted through the vagina into the uterus.
4. Which of the following is a non-medicated IUD?
a) Lippes loop
c) Multiload 375
Explanation: Lippes loop is a non-medicated IUD. It is made of an inert plastic material and can be used for longterm use.
5. Which of the following is not a copper releasing IUD?
d) Multiload 375
Explanation: The copper releasing IUDs include Cu7, CuT, and Multiload 375. LNG-20 instead releases progestin, which is a hormone.
6. Which of the following IUDs work by releasing hormone?
a) Lippes loop
c) Multiload 375
Explanation: Proestasert is an IUD. It works by releasing the hormone progesterone. This prevents pregnancy and hence acts as a contraceptive measure.
7. LNG-20 is an IUD, hence releases Cu ions to terminate pregnancy.
Explanation: LNG-20 is an IUD. However, not all IUDs released Cu ions. LNG-20 belongs to the class of IUDs that release hormones. LNG-20 causes the release of the hormone progestin in the uterine cavity.
8. How do IUDs prevent pregnancy?
a) By preventing mixing of vaginal and seminal fluids
b) By increasing phagocytosis of sperms
c) By increasing phagocytosis of eggs
d) By preventing the release of egg
Explanation: IUDs are intrauterine devices. They do not act as a barrier between vaginal and seminal fluids. Also, they do not affect the ovary or the egg. They work by enhancing the phagocytosis of sperms and thus reducing the probability of sperm entering the fallopian tube to fertilize the egg.
9. How do Cu ions in copper releasing IUDs prevent fertilization?
a) By reducing the motility of the sperms
b) By increasing the motility of the sperms
c) By causing the females to expel out the sperms
d) By causing the lysis of sperms
Explanation: Copper releasing IUDs include Cu7, CuT, and Multiload 375. These work by dampening the motility of the sperms. This reduces the ability of sperm to cross the barriers of the uterus before reaching the fallopian tube and thus prevents fertilization and pregnancy.
10. What is the unique feature of hormone-releasing IUDs?
a) Causing lysis of sperms
b) Increasing the release of sperms by male
c) Rendering the uterus unsuitable for the fertilized egg to implant
d) Closing of vagina
Explanation: The hormone-releasing IUDs are very strong and have fewer side-effects. These stimulate the body’s mechanisms to prevent fertilization. They render the cervix hostile for sperms and also make the uterus not suitable for the blastocyst to the implant. Thus, even if fertilization occurs, the chances of it leading to pregnancy are almost nil.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10