This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biotechnological Applications in Medicine: Molecular Diagnosis – 1”.
1. A person with the hereditary disease can be cured with the help of _________
a) gene therapy
Explanation: Gene therapy is a technique used to cure many hereditary diseases. It involves changing the genome in order to prevent or cure diseases. It is one of the most successful techniques used to cure hereditary diseases or to cure deficiency of various hormones.
2. A collection of methods that allows correction of a gene that has been diagnosed in child/embryo is called _________
b) gene therapy
Explanation: A collection of methods that allows the correction of a gene that has been diagnosed in a child/embryo is called gene therapy. It consists of various processes. In this, the defective genes are corrected and replaced with normal, healthy genes.
3. In gene therapy, the gene defects are cured in a child or ________ stage.
Explanation: In gene therapy, the gene defects are cured in child or embryonic stage. This phase is chosen to avoid complications and each and every cell will receive a healthy, functional gene.
4. In gene therapy, the genetic defect is corrected by delivery of _______ gene into the individual.
Explanation: In gene therapy, the genetic defect is corrected by the delivery of a normal gene into the individual. This normal gene when replaced cures that deficiency. It is a functional gene and is useful in the curing of that disorder.
5. The inserted normal gene takes over the function of _________ gene.
Explanation: In gene therapy, the inserted normal gene takes over the function of the non-functional gene. This non-functional gene is also called as an incorrect or mutant gene. This change in function is useful in successfully curing of the disease.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!