This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 2 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Reproduction in Flowering Plants – Pollen-Pistil Interaction”.
1. Pollen–pistil interaction determines the ____ of the pollen.
Explanation: Pollen-pistil interaction determines the suitability of pollen for carrying out the process of sexual reproduction. If it is not compatible, fertilization process will not begin.
2. _____ incompatibility prevents cross pollination.
Explanation: Interspecific incompatibility prevents cross pollination between members of different of different species. It maintains species individuality.
3. ______ incompatibility promotes cross pollination.
Explanation: Intraspecific incompatibility promotes cross pollination and ensures heterozygosity which helps in evolution. It is achieved by self-sterility. It is also called self-incompatibility.
4. In ______ self incompatibility, genotype of pollen determines the incompatibility.
Explanation: In gametophytic self-incompatibility, genotype of pollen determines the incompatibility. Pollen is compatible with the diploid cell of that pistil that carries the S allele other than the one present on the pollen.
5. In ______ self incompatibility, genotype of pollen does not determine the incompatibility.
Explanation: In sporophytic self-incompatibility, genotype of sporophytic tissues and not the pollen, determines the incompatibility. Seen in Asteraceae and Brassicceae.
6. Pollination guarantees the transfer of the right type of pollen.
Explanation: There is no guarantee that compatible pollens will fall on the stigma since pollination highly depends on factors like wind, animals, birds, insects, etc.
7. How is the dialogue of pollen rejection maintained in the pistil?
Explanation: Pistil has the power of recognizing the pollen. If the pollen is incompatible with the pistil, the pistil will not allow the growth of the pollen tube and mediate the process via chemicals, just like hormones.
8. There are ____ present on the stigmatic surface.
Explanation: In the recent years, botanists have found out the presence of certain proteins present on the pollen and the stigma that helps in the recognition.
9. It is necessary for the stigma to recognize the pollen before the process of fertilization.
Explanation: It is necessary for the stigma to recognize the pollen. Not all plant species are compatible with each other and in some species its not compatible with its own self.
10. ____ does not allow the raising of pure lines.
a) Self compatibility
b) Interspecific incompatibility
c) Intraspecific incompatibility
Explanation: The disadvantage of intraspecific incompatibility also known as self-incompatibility is that it does not allow the production of pure lines. It only promotes cross pollination.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10