This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 8 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Human Health and Disease – Drugs and Alcohol Abuse-6”.
1. Which of the following generally does not happen when a combination of drugs is taken?
a) Enhance sedation
b) Causes various complications
c) Reduce the effect of a drug
d) Does not affect the individual
Explanation: There is often a mix up of drugs with alcohol and other substances, For e.g., Insulin, aspirin. So the combination of drugs may enhance sedation, cause complication (e.g., hypertension) or reduce the effect of medicine.
2. Which drug combination causes Dramatic sedative effect?
a) Alcohol + Benzodiazepines
b) Alcohol + Antihistamines
c) Alcohol + Barbiturates
d) Alcohol + Aspirin
Explanation: The combination of Alcohol and Benzodiazepines causes a dramatic sedative effect. The combination of Alcohol with Antihistamines, Barbiturates and Aspirin causes marked drowsiness, marked depressant effect and damage to gastric mucosa respectively.
3. Which drug combination causes decreased insulin effect?
a) Barbiturate + Benzodiazepine
b) Cocaine + antidepressant
c) Cocaine + Nicotine
d) Amphetamine + Insulin
Explanation: The combination of Amphetamine and Insulin causes decreased Insulin effect. The combination of Barbiturate and Benzodiazepine causes increased sedation of those drugs. The combination of Cocaine with antidepressant and nicotine causes hypertension and increased cardiovascular activities respectively.
4. The combination of Alcohol and Cannabis causes damage to the gastric mucosa.
Explanation: The combination of Alcohol and Cannabis causes marked loss of body coordination, increased reaction time and impaired judgement. The combination of Alcohol and Aspirin causes damage to the gastric mucosa.
5. Which of the following symptom does not show physical dependence on drugs?
Explanation: In physical dependence, the repeated use of the drug changes the physical; equilibrium of the body so much that in the absence of the drug, normal functioning of the body is impaired resulting in tremors, cramps, twitching, convulsions, fits, severe agitation which is sometimes even life-threatening.
6. Which of the following is a common characteristic of a psychological dependence on drugs?
a) Craving or overwhelming desire to have drugs
Explanation: In psychological dependence, the drug gives mental satisfaction. Even the smell, sight or thought of the drug brings about craving or overwhelming desire to have the same. Therefore, psychological dependence is difficult to overcome.
7. Which of the following is generally not a withdrawal symptom of taking drugs?
a) Excessive sweating
b) Tremors and cramps
Explanation: Withdrawal symptoms are unpleasant psychological and physical symptoms that appear on the sudden stoppage of addictive drugs. For e.g., Excessive sweating, Tremors, fits, Convulsions, disturbed sleep or Insomnia.
8. Why does the dependence on drugs keep on increasing with time?
a) The tolerance level of receptors present in our body increases
b) Drugs become refreshing
c) To remain in euphoria condition
d) Dependence on food decreases
Explanation: With repeated use of drugs, the tolerance level of receptors present in our body increases. Consequently, the receptors only respond to higher doses of drugs or alcohol leading to greater intake and addiction.
9. Which of the following is not a common warning sign of drug and alcohol abuse among the youth?
a) Drop-in academic performance
b) Unexplained absence from school or college
d) Positive attitude towards life
Explanation: The most common signs of drug and alcohol abuse among youth are a drop in academic performance, unexplained absence from school or college, lack of interest in personal hygiene, isolation, fatigue, depression, aggressive and rebellious behaviour, loss of interest in hobbies and deteriorating relationships with family and friends.
10. People who take drugs intravenously are less likely to acquire serious infections like AIDS and Hepatitis.
Explanation: People who take drugs intravenously are much more likely to acquire serious infections like AIDS and Hepatitis B. The viruses which are responsible for these diseases, are transferred from one person to another by sharing of infected needles and syringes.
11. Which of the following drugs is generally not misused by sportsperson?
a) Narcotic analgesics
b) Anabolic steroids
Explanation: Certain sportspersons misuse drugs to enhance their performance. They misuse narcotic analgesics, anabolic steroids, diuretics and certain hormones in sports to increase muscle strength and to promote aggressiveness and as a result, increase athletic performance.
12. Which of the following is not a side effect of anabolic steroids on females?
a) Breast Enlargement
c) Increased aggressiveness
d) Mood swings
Explanation: The side-effects of the use of anabolic steroids in females include masculinisation, (features like males), increased aggressiveness, mood swings, depression, abnormal menstrual cycle, excessive hair growth on the face and body, enlargement of clitoris, deepening of voice.
13. Which of the following is not a side effect of anabolic steroids on males?
a) Decreased sperm production
b) Excessive hair growth on face and body
c) Premature baldness
Explanation: The side effects of the use of anabolic steroids in males include acne, increased aggressiveness, mood swings, depression, reduction of the size of testicles, decreased sperm production, the potential for liver and kidney dysfunction, breast enlargement, premature baldness, enlargement of the prostate gland.
14. Which of the following is not associated with lowering the risk of substance abuse?
a) High levels of nurturance
b) Consistent discipline
c) Good parenting
d) Persuade the child to take more drugs
Explanation: Good parenting that combines with high levels of nurturance and consistent discipline, has been associated with lowered risk of substance (alcohol/drugs/tobacco) abuse. It is best to identify the situations that may push an adolescent towards the use of drugs or alcohol and to take remedial measures well in time.
15. Which of the following is not a common measure for prevention and control of alcohol and drugs abuse among adolescents?
c) Seeking help from unprofessional quacks
d) Avoiding undue peer pressure
Explanation: Some of the measures which are useful in prevention and control of drug and alcohol abuse among adolescents are proper education, counselling, seeking help from parents and teachers, avoiding undue peer pressure and seeking professional and medical help.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10