This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 7 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “A Brief Account of Evolution of Animals”.
1. Invertebrates were formed and active about _______ million years ago.
Explanation: It was 500 million years back when the invertebrates were formed and active. Jawless fish and other fishes with strong stouts evolved around 350 million years ago. Seaweeds and few plants evolved about 320 million years ago.
2. The animals which evolved into the first amphibian that lived on both land and water, were _____
a) Jawless fish
Explanation: Lobefin were the first animals to be declared as amphibians. The first mammals resembled shrews whereas jawless fish evolved around 350 million years ago. Ichthyosaurs were fish-like reptiles that existed 200 million years ago.
3. Which of these are correct regarding the evolution of animals?
a) Lobefins were ancestors of modern-day frogs and salamanders
b) Reptiles evolved into amphibians
c) Reptiles lay thin-shelled eggs
d) Reptiles of same shapes and sizes evolved
Explanation: It is said to believe that modern-day frogs and salamanders evolved from lobefins. Amphibians evolved into reptiles also reptiles lay thick-shelled eggs. Reptiles of different shapes and sizes evolved during animal evolution.
4. The appearance of first amphibians was during the period of ______
b) Louis Pasteur
Explanation: Appearance of first amphibians were during the period of Devonian. Bony fishes and lungfishes also evolved during this period. It occurred about 5 crore years ago.
5. Origin and evolution of sharks were during the Carboniferous period.
Explanation: It is a wrong statement. Origin and evolution of sharks were during the Devonian period. It is known as the “Age of fishes”. They belong to the Palaeozoic era.
6. Which of the following did not originate during the Triassic period?
a) Oviparous prototheria
Explanation: Origin of first oviparous prototheria, mammals, dinosaurs, flying reptiles. It occurred at about 3.5 crore years ago. Apes did not evolve during this period.
7. Evolution of toothed birds occurred about ______ crore years ago.
a) 5.4 – 5.9
b) 5 – 6
Explanation: Evolution of toothed birds occurred about 5.4 – 5.9 years ago. Birds like archaeopteryx evolved during this period. Also, marsupials evolved from prototherians. This all happened during the Jurassic period.
8. What occurred during the Cretaceous period of animal evolution?
a) Dinosaurs evolved
b) Extinction of dinosaurs
c) Evolution of primitive birds
d) Modern birds disappeared
Explanation: Extinction of dinosaurs and primitive birds occurred. First modern birds appeared during the Cretaceous period. Also, primitive placental mammals like insectivorous shrews also originated. This all occurred 7.1 crore years ago.
9. What evolved during Oligocene epoch of animal evolution?
a) Anthropoid apes
Explanation: Anthropoid apes evolved during the Oligocene epoch of animal evolution. These apes are said to evolve from monkeys and crocodiles. It occurred at about 1.9 crore years ago during the Tertiary period.
10. Humans appeared during which epoch?
Explanation: Human appeared during the Pleistocene epoch. The appearance of the social life of man was also observed. Miocene is the golden age of mammals. The apelike ancestor of human appeared during Pliocene epoch. Holocene is known as the age of man.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10