This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 12 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Biotechnology Applications – Transgenic Animals – 1”.
1. Animals that have had their DNA manipulated to possess and express an extra (foreign) gene are known as ______
a) transgenic animals
c) infected animals
d) Bt animals
Explanation: Transgenic animals are the ones whose DNA has been manipulated in such a way that they can possess and express an extra foreign gene. This gene gives an extra character to that animal. This gene when expressed may form useful products or may lead to death.
2. Today transgenic model exist for disease like ______
c) cystic fibrosis
Explanation: Today transgenic model exists for a disease like cystic fibrosis. Transgenic animals serve as a model for human diseases. Cystic fibrosis is a genetic, hereditary disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of humans.
3. Transgenic animals have ______
a) foreign protein
b) foreign gene
c) foreign lipid
d) foreign amino acid
Explanation: Transgenic animals are those who have a foreign gene within them. This gene mostly produces a functional product that will lead to a change in the characteristics of that animal.
4. Transgenic animals can be designed to study the change in _______
Explanation: Transgenic animals can be designed to study the change in a gene. These genes can be easily regulated and their functions can be studied. This can be used to study the change in the normal physiology and the function of an animal.
5. Transgenic models exist for ________ disease.
Explanation: Transgenic animals are used for a better understanding of disease and treatments against it. They serve as a model for humans. Today transgenic models exist for diseases such as cancer.
6. By studying the effects of gene one can tell ______ role of a gene in the body.
Explanation: The biological role of the introduced foreign gene can be predicted or observed by studying the effects of the gene in transgenic animals. The manipulated gene can introduce a new character or may lead to the loss of a character.
7. Transgenic animals are design to _______ our understanding of the role of genes disease.
Explanation: Many transgenic animals are designed to increase our understanding of the role of genes in a particular disease. They are also useful in finding treatment regarding that particular disease. They serve as model organisms for studying human diseases.
8. Transgenic animals serve as ______ for human for better understanding of genes and their functions.
Explanation: Transgenic animals serve as a model for humans for a better understanding of genes and their functions. They are useful in better understanding and finding new treatments against a particular disease.
9. Transgenic animals are used to study what is the function of ______ gene.
Explanation: Transgenic animals are used to study what is the function of foreign genes. These changes are studied by observing or studying the changes in the organism after the introduction of a foreign gene. These changes can be useful or harmful.
10. Transgenic models exist for ________ disease.
c) rheumatoid arthritis
Explanation: Transgenic animals serve as a model to humans for the treatment of many diseases. Today transgenic models exist for diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto-immune disease that causes inflammation in joints.
11. 95% transgenic animals are ______
Explanation: Many transgenic animals have been produced to date like transgenic sheep, rabbits, fish, cows, pigs, etc. But the maximum number i.e. approximately 95% of transgenic animals are transgenic mice. They are extensively used in various biotechnology experiments.
12. Today transgenic model exist for disease like ______
Explanation: Today transgenic model exists for a disease like Alzheimer’s disease. It is used for a better understanding of the disease and finding new ways to treat it. It is a neurological disorder that leads to the degeneration of the brain.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10