This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 7 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Evolution”. These MCQs are created based on the latest CBSE syllabus and the NCERT curriculum, offering valuable assistance for exam preparation.
1. Stellar distances are measured in _____
b) Light years
c) Per second
d) Chandrasekhar limit
Explanation: Stellar distances are measured in light years. Mainly used to measure the distance between Earth and stars. Other units are not suitable for measuring such distances.
2. Oxygen in atmosphere has been formed by _____
a) Evaporation of water
b) Metabolism of microorganisms
c) Decaying organisms
d) Photosynthesis of blue green algae
Explanation: Millions of years back, it was due to photosynthesis of blue green algae that resulted in the formation of oxygen in atmosphere. It gave the foundation for evolution.
3. Which scientist in his Recapitulation theory stated that “ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny”?
a) Ernst Haeckel
b) Louis Pasteur
c) Charles Darwin
d) S.L. Miller
Explanation: Ernst Haeckel stated this theory, which means that life history repeats evolutionary history. This also means that an organism during its development, repeats ancestral history. This theory helped in the research of advanced evolution.
4. The universe is almost very old–almost 20 billion years ago.
Explanation: According to research, universe is almost 20 billion years old. It is a true fact that the universe is almost very old. It was formed due to the phenomenon called Big bang.
5. Which theory attempts to explain to us the origin of universe?
a) Explosion theory
b) Big-Bang theory
c) Black hole theory
d) Gamma theory
Explanation: Big-Bang theory was proposed by Abbe Lemaitre. It states that the universe originated due to a thermonuclear explosion of a dense entity. It was the first proposed theory.
6. During evolution, the first cellular form of life appeared before how many million years?
Explanation: It was 2000 million years back, when the first cellular form of life appeared. First non-cellular form of life originated about 3000 million years. Life appeared on earth about 4000 million years. The Earth was formed 4500 million years ago.
7. Who demonstrated that life originated from pre-existing cells?
a) Louis Pasteur
b) Hugo de Vries
c) Charles Darwin
d) Stanley Miller
Explanation: Louis Pasteur in his swan neck flask experiment, found out that life originated from pre-existing life. He prepared sterilized syrup of sugar and later killed yeast by boiling them in flasks.
8. During origin of life, which among the following was not found in free form?
Explanation: Oxygen was not found in free form. It was produced mainly by blue green algae. U.V rays broke down water vapor present in molten mass to oxygen and hydrogen.
9. Miller in his experiment, synthesized simple amino- acid from ______
a) Methane, ammonia, oxygen, nitrogen
b) Hydrogen, methane, ammonia, water
c) Ammonia, methane, carbon dioxide, oxygen
d) Hydrogen, water, oxygen, helium
Explanation: Hydrogen, methane, ammonia and water was kept in a closed flask with electrical discharge. He produced a small living atmosphere in a lab experiment. The flask was maintained at 800C.
10. According to spontaneous generation, life originated _____
a) From microorganisms
b) From similar organisms
c) From air
d) Only spontaneously
Explanation: This theory states that life originates from nonliving things or decaying matter like mud, straw etc. spontaneously. It was theory which had no specific explanation. It was soon rejected.
11. Stanley Miller performed his experiment for explanation of the origin of life, in which year?
Explanation: Stanley Miller performed his experiment of the origin of life in 1953 whereas in 1809, Lamarck published his theory of evolution in Philosophie Zoologique. Louis Pasteur in 1864 demonstrated that life comes only from preexisting life. In 1901, Hugo de Vries put forward the mutation theory.
More MCQs on Class 12 Biology Chapter 7:
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 2)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 3)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 4)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 5)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 6)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 7)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 8)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 9)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 10)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 11)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 12)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 13)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 14)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 15)
- Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ (Set 16)
Chapter Wise MCQs for Class 12 Biology
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 1 – Reproduction in Organisms MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 2 – Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 3 – Human Reproduction MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 4 – Reproductive Health MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 5 – Principles of Inheritance and Variation MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 6 – Molecular Basis of Inheritance MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 7 – Evolution MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 8 – Human Health and Disease MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 9 – Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 10 – Microbes in Human Welfare MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 11 – Biotechnology Principles and Processes MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 12 – Biotechnology and its Applications MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 13 – Organisms and Populations MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 14 – Ecosystem MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 15 – Biodiversity and Conservation MCQ
- Class 12 Biology Chapter 16 – Environmental Issues MCQ
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10