This set of Class 12 Biology Chapter 6 Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “tRNA-Adapter Molecule”.
1. Amino acids have no structural specialities to read a code in a unique mode.
Explanation: In the earlier days, Francis Crick felt that a mechanism has to be there to read the codes. This was because amino acids possess no structural specialities to do that. And so, he postulated that there had to be an adapter molecule.
2. Who came up with the idea of “adapter molecule”?
a) James Watson
b) Francis Crick
c) Gregor Mendel
d) Charles Darwin
Explanation: Amino acids do not have any structural specialties to read a code. Francis Crick came up with an ideology that an adapter molecule will be present. This adapter molecule will be capable of both reading the code and also on binding itself to the specific amino acid.
3. Which of the following is an adapter molecule?
Explanation: The tRNA was known by the name sRNA in its early days. sRNA stands for soluble RNA. This was even before the postulation of the genetic code. But, the role of tRNA as an adapter was assigned much later.
4. What does the anticodon loop of the tRNA contain?
a) A site for binding the amino acids
b) Bases that are complementary to the code
c) They have UAA codons
d) They have UAG codons
Explanation: The stop codons are UAA, UAG and UGA. These codons are absent in the tRNA molecules. tRNA possesses an amino acid acceptor end which is the site for binding the amino acids. Finally, the anticodon loop of the tRNA contains bases that are complementary to the codes.
5. Which of the following is the actual structure of the tRNA?
a) Clover leaf like structure
b) Football like structure
c) An inverted L shaped structure
d) An inverted T shaped structure
Explanation: The actual structure of the tRNA is actually a compact molecule which appears to be like an inverted L shaped molecule. But, the secondary structure of the tRNA appears to look like a clover leaf shaped structure.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 12.
To practice all chapters and topics of class 12 Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 12
- Participate in Biology - Class 12 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 12
- Take Biology - Class 12 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10