This set of Biology Quiz for Class 11 focuses on “Living and Non Living – 2”.
1. Increase in mass and increase in number are twin characteristics of growth.
Explanation: Multicellular organisms grow by cell division, i.e. increase in number which thereby leads to increase in mass.
2. Which organism among the following reproduce?
b) Worker bees
c) Fertile human couple
d) Infertile human couple
Explanation: Fertile human couple successfully produces offspring but mules, worker bees and an infertile human couple are incapable of reproduction.
3. The sum total of all the chemical reactions occurring in our body known as ______
Explanation: Metabolism is the total set of life-sustaining chemical reactions in organisms. Anabolism is a set of constructive processes. Catabolism is a set of destructive processes. Amphibolism leads to both constructive and destructive outcomes.
4. Living and non-living organisms can be differentiated unexceptionally on the basis of _________
Explanation: Reproduction is the only criteria by which living and non-living organisms can be differentiated without any exception. Growth is seen in non-living organisms as well. Metabolism can be carried out in-vitro. Consciousness is also present in patients in coma.
5. Pick the man-made non-living thing.
Explanation: Books are non-living and also manmade whereas mountains, rivers and valleys are non- living but occur naturally.
6. A student wanted to keep a pet rat. He kept it inside a closed cage and found that the rat died the next day. Select the reason behind the death of the rat.
a) It did not get the space to move
b) It did not get sunlight to grow
c) It did not get air to breathe
d) It did not get food to eat
Explanation: The rat couldn’t survive because of the lack of air to breathe. A rat can live without space to move, sunlight and food for a few days.
7. Statement A: Natural things can be living or non-living.
Statement B: Living things can be natural.
a) Both the statements are true
b) Both the statements are false
c) Statement A is true but Statement B is false
d) Statement B is true but Statement A is false
Explanation: Both the statements are correct. Natural things are both living and non-living but Living things are always made by nature.
8. Sun is essential for plants as it provides _____
Explanation: Sun provides energy to plants. Water has to provided to plants or they obtain it naturally from rain. Roots are a part of the plant body which helps in obtaining food, water and minerals. Plants make their own food.
9. Budding is observed in _____
d) Protonema of mosses
Explanation: Budding is a method of asexual reproduction observed in lower organisms. Yeast multiply through budding. Planaria, Amoeba and Protonema of mosses multiply respectively through regeneration, binary fission and fragmentation respectively.
10. Growth and reproduction are mutually exclusive events in case of the majority of plants and animals.
Explanation: Growth is an increase in mass from inside or outside or both whereas reproduction refers to the production of progenies. Growth takes place in both living and non-living organisms but reproduction is seen only in living beings.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice Biology Quiz for Class 11, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!