This set of Zoology Aptitude Test focuses on “Animals Structural Organisations – Cockroach-3”.
1. What is the function of Malpighian tubules in cockroach?
Explanation: The Malpighian tubules are used for the purpose of excretion in cockroach. They help to remove the waste material from the hemolymph. Malpighian tubules are yellow in color, thin and filamentous.
2. Which of these is not a division of hindgut in cockroach?
Explanation: The hindgut of the cockroach is divided into three parts, namely, the ileum, the colon and the rectum. Duodenum is not a structure of the hindgut. The hindgut is broader than the midgut of the cockroach.
3. Which of these characteristics is true about the vascular system of cockroach?
a) Closed type
b) Red hemolymph
c) Poorly developed blood vessels
d) Haemocoel does not contain visceral organs
Explanation: The vascular system in cockroach is of open type. They have poorly developed blood vessels which open up into the haemocoel, where visceral organs are located. The hemolymph is colorless and contains hemocytes and plasma.
4. Which of these structures is involved in blood circulation in cockroach?
b) Malpighian tubules
Explanation: Out of the given structures, ostia is involved in blood circulation. It is present on either side of the funnel-shaped heart chambers. The circulatory system is of open type. Blood from the sinuses is pumped into the heart chambers through ostia.
5. Which of these statements is true about the respiratory system of cockroach?
a) Exchange of gases takes place through active transport
b) Sphincters are present at the openings of spiracles
c) There are 8 pairs of spiracles
d) Spiracles are absent on the lateral sides of the body
Explanation: Sphincters are present at the openings of spiracles and regulate its opening and closing. Exchange of gases takes place through diffusion at the tracheoles. There are 10 pairs of spiracles which are located on the lateral side of the body.
6. Cockroaches are _________
Explanation: Cockroaches excrete waste in the form of uric acid. Hence, they are uricotelic organisms. The waste is excreted from the hindgut. Cockroaches belong to the class Insecta of the phylum Arthropoda.
7. Which of these structures do not help in excretion in cockroaches?
b) Fat body
d) Uricose gland
Explanation: Fat body, nephrocytes and uricose gland help in excretion in cockroach. Cockroaches are uricotelic, which means they excrete their waste in the form of uric acid. Ostia is a part of the circulatory system.
8. How many ganglia lie in the thorax and abdomen respectively in cockroach?
a) 3, 6
b) 6, 3
c) 2, 4
d) 4, 2
Explanation: The nervous system of cockroach consists of a series of fused ganglia which are segmentally arranged. There are three ganglia present in the thorax and six ganglia present in the abdomen.
9. For how long will a cockroach survive if its head is cut off?
a) One day
b) Two weeks
c) One week
d) Two days
Explanation: A cockroach will survive for as long as one week if its head is cut off. This is because the nervous system of the cockroach is spread out all over its body. Parts of the nervous system lie on the ventral side of the body apart from its head.
10. The compound eyes of cockroach are situated dorsally. True or False?
Explanation: The compound eyes of cockroach are present on the dorsal side of its head. Each eye of the cockroach consists of around 2000 ommatidia through which the cockroach receives several images of an object.
11. Which of these is not a sense organ in cockroach?
a) Maxillary palps
b) Labial palps
c) Anal cerci
Explanation: The maxillary palps, labial palps and anal cerci are some of the sense organs in cockroach. Ostia are not sensory organs but a part of the circulatory system. They are located on either side of the heart chambers.
12. Cockroaches are ________
Explanation: Cockroaches are dioecious. This means that the male and female reproductive organs of cockroach are present separately. Hence, they are not bisexual, hermaphrodite and monoecious as these have both the organs in the same animal.
13. Which of these is an external organ in male cockroach?
b) Ejaculatory duct
d) Seminal vesicle
Explanation: The phallomere or male gonapophysis is an external organ in male cockroach. The male gonopore, the ejaculatory duct and the seminal vesicle are internal structures. All the structures are a part of the male reproductive system.
14. How many ovarioles are present in a female cockroach?
Explanation: The female cockroach possesses two large ovaries. Each ovary contains 8 ovarioles or ovarian tubules. Thus, the total number of ovarioles present in the female cockroach is double of 8, that is, 16.
15. Cockroaches are ________
Explanation: Cockroaches are paurometabolous. This means that they undergo metamorphosis and develop through the nymph stage. The nymphs undergo moulting or shedding of skin around 13 times to attain adult form.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice Zoology Aptitude Test, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10