This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Living World – Taxonomic Categories”.
1. The similarities among the taxa decrease as it becomes more inclusive.
Explanation: The similarities among the taxa decrease as you go above in the hierarchical classification which becomes more and more inclusive as you go on.
2. The study of relationships among different organisms is called _________
Explanation: Taxonomy is the classification of life forms into different taxa. Biology is the study of life. Systematics is the study of relationships among different organisms. Ornithology is the study of birds.
3. Classes are characterized based on the mode of reproduction, habitat, type of blood in animals.
Explanation: Animalia is classified into different classes based on their habitat (land/air/ water), mode of reproduction (eggs/ give birth to young ones) and type of blood (cold-blooded/warm-blooded/hot-blooded).
4. Sexual reproduction must involve parents from _________
a) Same kingdom
b) Same phylum
c) Same genus
d) Same species
Explanation: Unlike asexual reproduction, sexual reproduction involves two parent species. Sexual reproduction takes place only when both the parent organisms belong to the same species.
5. Cats and lions belong to the family called ________
Explanation: Panthera refers to the genus to which lion, tiger and leopard belong to. Canidae refers to the family to which wolves, dog, jackals and foxes etc. belong to. Felidae is the family to which lion, tiger, leopard and cats etc. belong to. Mammalia is a class of animals which includes all the milk-feeding animals like dogs, cats, humans, bats etc.
6. The action that the environment does on an organism is called ________
Explanation: Every organism responds to the external stimuli that the surrounding has on the organism. For example, a touch me not leaf gets closed when touched and a human being runs away when he sees a lion approaching him.
7. A plant kingdom is further classified into phylum.
Explanation: The word phylum is particularly used for animal kingdom. A plant kingdom is further classified into divisions. Animals are divided into 2 phyla (vertebrata and non-vertebrata) whereas plants into 2 divisions (Cryptogams and Spermatophytes).
8. Animal kingdom is classified into different phyla based on ____________
a) Type of blood they have
b) The presence or absence of vertebral column.
c) Place they live
d) Food they eat on
Explanation: Animal kingdom is divided into Vertebrata and Non-vertebrata based on the presence or absence of vertebral column. Plants are divided into Cryptogams and Spermatophytes.
9. Pick the odd one out.
Explanation: Humans, ape and monkey belong to the order Primata whereas cats, lion, dogs, tigers belong to the order called Carnivora. But all of the above animals belong to the class of Mammalia.
10. Bats belong to the class ________
Explanation: Bats belong to the order of Chiroptera, class of Mammalia, clade of Scrotifera and phylum of Chordate. Human beings also belong to the class of mammalian.
11. Scientific name of housefly is _________
a) Musca domestica
b) Eurycotis floridana
c) Oryctolagus cuniculus
d) Anopheles albimanus
Explanation: Musca domestica (Housefly) (Species: Domestica; Genus: Musca); Eurycotis floridana (Spider) (Species: Floridana; Genus: Eurycotis); Oryctolagus cuniculus (Rabbit) (Species: Cuniculus; Genus: Oryctolagus); Anopheles albimanus (Mosquito) (Species: Albimanus; Genus: Anopheles).
12. Potato, Tomato and Brinjal belong to the order called ______________
Explanation: Potato, Tomato and Brinjal belong to the genus Solanum, family Solanaceae and order Polymonioles. Plant families like Convolvulacae are also included in the order of Polymonioles.
13. Orders are grouped to form a __________
Explanation: Genus includes all the related species. Related genera constitute a family. Related families constitute an order. Related orders constitute a class. Related classes constitute a phylum. Related phyla constitute a kingdom.
14. German Shepherd, Chihuahua, Pug, Basenji belongs to ___________
a) Same species
b) Same genus
c) Same family
d) Same class
Explanation: German Shepherd, Chihuahua, Pug, Poodle, Beagle, Basenji are different breeds of dog. Irrespective of the breed of the dog they belong to the same species i.e. Lupus Familaris.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Class 11 - Chemistry MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Physics MCQs
- Buy Class 11 - Books
- Practice Class 12 - Biology MCQs
- Practice Class 11 - Mathematics MCQs