This set of Biology Online Quiz for Class 11 focuses on “Animals Structural Organisations – Cockroach-2”.
1. What structure of the cockroach is called the tegmina?
Explanation: The forewings of the cockroach is called tegmina. It is dark, opaque and leathery. The tegmina covers the hindwings. Out of the two pairs of wings, the cockroach uses the hindwings for flight.
2. Which of these is characteristic of hindwings of a cockroach?
a) Thick, Smooth
b) Opaque, Leathery
c) Membranous, Transparent
d) Moist, Thick
Explanation: The hindwings of the cockroach are located below the forewings. The hindwings are membranous and transparent. They are used for the purpose of flight. The forewings are opaque and leathery.
3. How many segments is the abdomen of a cockroach divided into?
Explanation: The abdomen of the cockroach is located after the head and thorax. It is divided into 10 segments. Overall, the body of the cockroach is divided into three parts – a triangular head, a thorax and an abdomen.
4. What is the shape of the seventh sternum of the female cockroach?
a) Boat – shaped
Explanation: The abdomen of the cockroach is divided into 10 segments. The seventh sternum or segment is boat shaped. It is a part of the brood or genital pouch along with the eighth and ninth segments.
5. Which of these pairs of abdominal segments are a part of brood pouch of female cockroach?
a) 1st, 2nd
b) 8th, 9th
c) 3rd, 4th
d) 11th, 12th
Explanation: The 8th and 9th segments of the abdomen of the female cockroach are a part of the brood pouch or the genital pouch. The genital pouch is made of the 8th, 9th and boat – shaped 7th segments.
6. Where are spermathecal pores located in cockroach?
c) Brood pouch
d) Anal cerci
Explanation: The brood pouch or the genital pouch contains the spermathecal pores. The brood pouch also contains the female gonopore and the collateral glands. The 7th, 8th and 9th segments of the abdomen make up the brood pouch.
7. Which of these structures is dorsal in male cockroach?
b) Male genital pore
Explanation: The anus is located dorsally on the body of the male cockroach. It is used for excretion. The male genital pore, the gonapophysis and the forelegs of the male cockroach is located on its ventral side.
8. Which of these structures is present in male cockroaches only?
b) Genital pouch
c) Anal cerci
d) Anal style
Explanation: Both male and female cockroaches have tegmina or forewing, genital pouch and anal cerci. Anal style is present only in male cockroaches. They possess one pair of thin and thread-like anal cerci.
9. In which abdominal segment are the anal cerci present in cockroach?
Explanation: The anal cerci are present in the 10th abdominal segment in both male and female cockroaches. Cockroaches possess one pair of anal cerci. The anal cerci are jointed filamentous structures.
10. Crop in cockroach is used to grind the ingested food. True or false?
Explanation: False, as crop is used for the storage of food. It is a sac like structure that is located after the esophagus. The gizzard is located after the crop. Its function is the mechanical breakdown of food by grinding.
11. Which of these completes the pathway of ingested food in cockroach?
b) Salivary reservoir
Explanation: The crop is located between the esophagus and the gizzard. It is a sac like structure which is used for the purpose of food storage. The ileum is a part of the intestine, while the pharynx and salivary reservoir are located before the crop.
12. Which body system is the proventriculus of cockroach a part of?
a) Nervous system
b) Circulatory system
c) Digestive system
d) Reproductive system
Explanation: The proventriculus of cockroach is also known as gizzard. It is a part of the digestive system of cockroach. The function of the gizzard is to mechanically break down food by the process of grinding.
13. The teeth of the gizzard in cockroach is composed of ______
Explanation: The teeth of the gizzard or proventriculus is made of chitin. The function of the gizzard in cockroach is to mechanically break down the ingested food by the process of grinding. The teeth help in grinding.
14. Which of these is not true about hepatic caeca in cockroach?
a) It lies below the gastric caeca
b) It secretes digestive juices
c) It is composed of blind tubules
d) It is located between the foregut and midgut
Explanation: The hepatic caeca is a ring of 6 to 8 blind tubules. It is located between the foregut and midgut. It secretes digested juices. However, it is not located below the gastric caeca but is also known as gastric caeca.
15. Where are the Malpighian tubules present in cockroach?
a) Before foregut
b) Between midgut and hindgut
c) Between foregut and midgut
d) After hindgut
Explanation: The Malpighian tubules of cockroach are present between the midgut and hindgut. They are 100-150 in number and are arranged in a ring. The Malpighian tubules are yellow, thin and filamentous.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice Biology Online Quiz for Class 11, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10