This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Plant Kingdom – Pteridophytes”.
1. Which of the following are first evolved plants with vascular tissues?
Explanation: Pteridophytes are the first ever evolved plants with vascular tissue in them i.e. they contain xylem and phloem. As they contain vascular tissues, they are capable of growing several meters tall.
2. Which of the following statement is incorrect?
a) Pteridophytes follow cryptogamae i.e. reproduce spores
b) The main plant body in Pteridophytes is Sporophyte
c) Pteridophytes grow in dry and cold places like mountains
d) Pteridophytes have specialized vascular tissues
Explanation: Pteridophytes follow cryptogamae i.e. reproduce spores. The main plant body in Pteridophytes is Sporophyte. Pteridophytes grow in a damp shady area and sometimes even in sandy soils. Pteridophytes have specialized vascular tissues.
3. Leaf like structure in Pteridophytes that bear spores are called as ___________
Explanation: Sporophytes bear sporangia in leaf like structures called sporophylls. Sporangia further ruptures to form spores that germinate into a gametophyte containing archegonium and antheridium.
4. Strobilus is the main characteristic that is found in every Pteridophyte.
Explanation: Strobili or cone is a cone-shaped structure found in some of the Pteridophytes. These are formed by sporophyll and are found in many of the conifers plants like Equisetum and Selaginella.
5. Which is the dominant phase in the life cycle of a pteridophyte?
Explanation: Sporophyte is dominant phase in the life cycle of a Pteridophyte whereas Gametophyte, Prothallus and Zygote are intermediary stages in the life cycle of a Pteridophyte.
6. Which among the following is incorrect?
a) Gametophyte is small and multi-cellular photosynthetic thallus.
b) Sporophyte is also called Pro-thallus
c) In mosses, gametophyte is the dominant phase
d) Equisetum and Selaginella have a distinct cone like structure called strobili
Explanation: Gametophyte is small and multi-cellular photosynthetic thallus. Sporophyte is also called Pro-thallus. In mosses, gametophyte is the dominant phase. Equisetum and Selaginella have a distinct cone like structure called strobili.
7. Megaspores or Macrospores form female gametophyte after germination.
Explanation: Megaspores or Macrospores form female gametophyte after germination. Microspores germinate to form male gametophyte. Male and female gametophyte, also called as prothallus, fuse to form a zygote.
8. Which among the following is odd?
Explanation: Pteridophytes are classified into four classes namely, Psilopsida; Pteropsida; Sphenopsida; and Lycopsida. Sporopsida doesn’t belong to this set of classification. Therefore, it is the odd among the four.
9. Equisetum belongs to ___________
Explanation: Equisetum belongs to Pteridophytes under the sub-classification of Sphenopsida. Equisetum is also called as horse’s tail plant because Equus in Latin means horse whereas seta means “bristle”. Equisetum is known to be used as medicine traditionally.
10. Which of the following are correct about the following diagram?
a) a-Strobili; b-Node; c-Branches; ds-Internode; e-Rhizomes
b) a-Strobili; b-Node; c- Internode; d- Sporophyll; e-Rhizomes
c) a-Sporangium; b-Node; c-Sporophyll; d-Internode; e-Rhizomes
d) a-Strobili; b-Node; c-Antheridium; d-Archegonium; e-Rhizomes
Explanation: The figure shows a Pteridophyte. Distinct cone-like structures in pteridophytes are called Strobili. Pteridophytes contain leaf like structures called sporophylls that are connected together by nodes. Different nodes are connected through Internodes. Pteridophytes are anchored to land through root like structures called Rhizomes.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10