This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Neural Control and Coordination – CNS”.
1. Which of these is the command and control system of the body?
b) Spinal cord
Explanation: The brain is the command and control system of the body. It is the central information processing center. The brain controls and regulates the various processes of the body required to survive.
2. What are the coverings of the brain known as?
Explanation: The coverings of the brain are known as cranial meninges. Peritoneum is the covering around the stomach, pleura is the covering around the lungs and the pericardium surrounds the heart.
3. What is the outer layer of the brain called?
b) Pia mater
c) Dura mater
d) Corpus callosum
Explanation: The outer layer of the cranial meninges is known as the dura mater. The middle layer is called the arachnoid membrane, and the innermost layer is known as the pia mater. The corpus callosum is a part of the forebrain.
4. Which of these is in contact with the brain tissue?
a) Pia mater
b) Dura mater
Explanation: The cranium or the skull is the outermost covering that protects the brain. The dura mater is the outermost layer of the meninges. The pia mater, which is the innermost layer, is in contact with the brain tissue.
5. Which of these is not a part of the forebrain?
Explanation: The brain is divided into three parts- the forebrain, the midbrain and the hindbrain. The forebrain, which is the largest of all three, consists of the cerebrum, the thalamus and the hypothalamus.
6. Which of these structures connect the cerebral hemispheres?
a) Corpus luteum
b) Corpus albicans
c) Corpus callosum
d) Corpora quadrigemina
Explanation: The cerebrum of the forebrain is divided longitudinally into two halves or hemispheres by a deep cleft. The two cerebral hemispheres are connected to each other with the help of the corpus callosum.
7. Which part of the neuron is present in a high concentration in the grey matter?
a) Cell body
d) Synaptic knobs
Explanation: The cell bodies or neurons or nerve cells are present in a high concentration in the grey matter of the brain and spinal cord. The axons of neurons are present in a high concentration in the white matter.
8. Which of these is not a function of the association areas?
a) Intersensory associations
Explanation: The association areas of the brain are a part of the cerebral cortex of the forebrain. They do not have a clear sensory or motor function, and are involved in intersensory associations, memory and communication.
9. Which of these is not true about the hypothalamus?
a) It contains neurosecretory cells
b) It regulates body temperature
c) It lies beside the thalamus
d) It controls hunger
Explanation: The hypothalamus is a part of the forebrain. It lies at the base of the thalamus. The hypothalamus controls body temperature and hunger. It has neurosecretory cells which secrete hormones.
10. The cerebral cortex is known as grey matter. True or false?
Explanation: The cerebral cortex has a greyish appearance due to the presence of the cell bodies of the nerve cells or neurons. Hence, it is also known as grey matter. The white matter contains the axons of neurons.
11. Which of these structures is not involved in controlling emotional reactions?
Explanation: The hypothalamus, the amygdala and the hippocampus are structures of the forebrain. They are a part of the limbic system and control emotional reactions. The pons is not involved in such activities.
12. Where is the midbrain located?
a) Between cerebellum and medulla
b) Between cerebrum and hypothalamus
c) Between hypothalamus and pons
d) Between pons and medulla
Explanation: The midbrain is located between the hypothalamus of the forebrain and the pons of the hindbrain. The midbrain is also known as the mesencephalon and controls several motor movements.
13. Which of these structures are found in the midbrain?
a) Corpus albicans
b) Corpus callosum
c) Corpora quadrigemina
d) Corpus luteum
Explanation: The midbrain is present between the hypothalamus of the forebrain and the pons of the hindbrain. The corpora quadrigemina is a four lobed structure which is present in the dorsal part of the midbrain.
14. Which of these is not a part of the hindbrain?
c) Medulla oblongata
Explanation: The hindbrain comprises of the pons, the medulla oblongata and the cerebellum. The hippocampus is present in the forebrain and is a part of the limbic system, which controls emotional reactions.
15. Which of these functions is not controlled by the medulla oblongata?
b) Circadian rhythm
c) Cardiovascular reflexes
d) Gastric secretions
Explanation: The medulla oblongata is present in the hindbrain. It controls important functions such as respiration, cardiovascular reflexes and gastric secretions. The forebrain controls the circadian rhythm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10