This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Mineral Requirements of a Plant-1”.
1. Which of the following is not a function of chlorine?
a) Water splitting reaction
b) Anion-cation balance
c) Pollen germination
d) Determination of solute concentration
Explanation: Chlorine is an essential micronutrient. It is absorbed by plants in form of Cl-. Its functions include maintaining anion-cation balance of cell, determination of solute concentration in cell and oxygen evolution in water splitting reaction. Boron is responsible for pollen germination.
2. Boron is required for the synthesis of Auxin hormone.
Explanation: Zinc is required for the synthesis of Auxin hormone. Zinc is absorbed in form of divalent form. It activates various enzymes such as alcohol dehydrogenase and carboxylases. Deficiency symptoms.
3. Which of the following elements will not cause delay flowering due to its less concentration?
Explanation: Deficiency symptoms are morphological changes are indicative of certain element deficiencies. Due to less concentration of N, S and Mo, there is delay in flowering.
4. Which of the following vitamins contain Sulphur?
a) Ascorbic acid
Explanation: Biotin is the sulphur-containing vitamin. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. Retinol is vitamin A. Cobalamin is vitamin B12.
5. Which of the following element activates enzyme catalase?
Explanation: Fe is the element that activates enzyme catalase. Plants obtain iron in the form of ferric ions. Na is responsible for C4 metabolism. Co is essential for nitrogen fixation by the nitrogen-fixing bacteria associated with legumes and other plants. Si improves the health of plants.
6. Which of the following elements is the binding component of ribosomes?
Explanation: Mg is absorbed by plants in the form of divalent. It is a constituent of structure of ribosome and acts as a binding component. Cu is involved in electron transport chain of photosynthesis. Mn is the component of oxygen evolving complex. Cl is responsible for anion-cation balance in cells.
7. Which of the following micronutrients is used in metabolism of urea?
Explanation: Ni is the micronutrient is used in metabolism of urea and ureides. Mo participates in nitrogen metabolism. Cu is involved in electron transport chain of photosynthesis. Mn is the component of oxygen evolving complex.
8. Which of the following element’s deficiency leads to grey speck of oats?
Explanation: Mn deficiency that leads to grey speck of oats. Zn deficiency leads to sickle disease of cocoa. B deficiency leads to brown heart of turnip. Mo deficiency leads to whiptail of cauliflower.
9. Which of the following element’s deficiency leads to Exanthema in Citrus?
Explanation: Cu deficiency leads to Exanthema in Citrus. P deficiency leads to poor growth of leaves. B deficiency leads to heart rot of beets. Zn deficiency leads to Khaira disease of rice.
10. Which of the following element’s deficiency leads to rosette growth of plant?
Explanation: Deficiency of Zn leads to rosette growth of plant. P is present in cell membranes. Mo participates in nitrogen metabolism. B is responsible for carbohydrate translocation.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10