This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Disorders in Respiratory System”.
1. Asthma is caused due to inflammation of ______________
a) bronchi and broncioles
Explanation: Asthma is difficulty in breathing causing wheezing due to inflammation of bronchi and bronchioles. Because of this air passage becomes narrow also it produces extra mucous which lastly leads into difficulty in breathing.
2. Which of the following diseases can be found in workers working in a mill?
b) Occupational respiratory disorders
Explanation: In industries, produced dust can’t be cope up by the defense system of human body. Long and continuous exposure gives rise to inflammation leading to fibrosis and thus leading to severe lung damage.
3. Low oxygen supply to tissues is scientifically known as ________
Explanation: When a body or a particular region of the body start depriving of oxygen due to its inadequate transport than this condition is known as hypoxia. Hypoxia may even lead into death of an individual.
4. Cigarette smoking causes______________
Explanation: Emphysema is chronic disorder in which alveolar walls are damaged due to which respiratory surface is decreased. This is one of the causes of cigarette smoking.
5. Swelling and itching in bronchi is a symptom of __________
Explanation: Bronchitis is a disorder of bronchi in which there is regular swelling and itching of bronchi and is characterized by regular coughing. It may be both acute disorder or chronic disorder.
6. Emphysema is marked by ______
a) inflammation of nasal passage
b) twisting of trachea
c) filling of mucous in lungs
d) damage of alveolar walls
Explanation: Emphysema is a chronic disorder which is marked of damage of alveolar walls. This leads to inadequate supply of oxygen to the body parts. The most common cause found so far is cigarette smoking.
7. What changes may be observed due to increase in carbon dioxide and hydrogen ions body?
a) Decrease in breathing rate
b) Increase in breathing rate
c) No change in breathing rate
d) Increase in lung volume
Explanation: Chemosensitive area is highly sensitive to carbon dioxide and hydrogen ions. Increase in these substances can activate this center which in turn can signal the rhythm centre and increase breathing rate.
8. Suffocation is caused due to_______
a) increase in carbon dioxide
b) decrease in oxygen
c) decrease in hydrogen ions
d) increase in oxygen
Explanation: The receptors found in the body are highly sensitive to the carbon dioxide and hydrogen ions. Asphyxia is the state of suffocation due to high carbon dioxide concentration. The role of oxygen in the regulation of respiratory rhythm is quite insignificant.
9. What causes increase in respiratory rate?
a) Increase in body temperature
b) Decrease in carbon dioxide
c) Decrease in blood pressure
d) Increased oxygen
Explanation: The activity of respiratory centre is also affected by blood pressure and body temperature. Whenever body temperature or blood pressure is increased, respiratory center becomes more active and increase the respiratory rate.
10. Fibrosis may be caused due to_______
a) cigarette smoking
c) inflammation of alveoli
d) dust particles
Explanation: Fibrosis means proliferation of fibrous tissues. This is a kind of occupational respiratory disorder which is found mainly in workers of industries involved mainly in stone grinding. Our body do not have defense mechanism to cope up with this and it thus causes serious lung damage.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice all areas of Biology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10