This set of Biology Multiple Choice Questions and Answers focuses on “Classification of Organisms by Aristotle and Linnaeus”.
1. Aristotle classified the organisms based on their _________
a) Morphological characteristics
b) Cell wall
c) Evolutionary relationships
d) Method of reproduction
Explanation: Aristotle classified the organisms based on their morphological characteristics. His classification neglected characteristics like nature of the cell wall, evolutionary relationships and method of reproduction.
2. Aristotle’s classification of plants is based on the ________
b) Flowering or non-flowering
c) Number of cotyledons present
d) Type of roots they have
Explanation: Aristotle classified plants based on their size into herbs (Wheat, Paddy, etc.), shrubs (Rose, Jasmine, etc.) and trees (Banyan, Banana, etc.). He classified animals based on their blood.
3. Aristotle’s classification contained ________
a) 5 Kingdoms
b) 3 Kingdoms
c) 2 Kingdoms
d) 4 Kingdoms
Explanation: Aristotle’s classification contained two kingdoms i.e. Plants and Animals. Plants are sub-divided into herbs, shrubs and tree. Animals are further sub-divided into red blooded and non- red blooded animals.
4. Which of the following statements are correct?
a) Aristotle classified the organisms into 5 kingdoms
b) Aristotle’s classification helped in classifying every organism
c) It didn’t consider the cell structure of the organism
d) It considered the method of reproduction of an organism
Explanation: Aristotle classified the organisms into two kingdoms namely, Plants and Animals. It didn’t classify organisms like bacteria, fungi and viruses. It didn’t consider the cell structure, method of reproduction and evolutionary relationships.
5. Linnaeus classified organisms into ________
a) Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes
b) Monera and Protista
c) Bacteria and Non-bacteria
d) Plantae and Animalia
Explanation: Aristotle classified the organisms into Plants and Animals whereas Carolus Linnaeus classified the organisms into Plantae and Animalia. Whittaker’s 5 kingdom classification contained Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae and Animalia.
6. Which among the following is a major disadvantage of the Linnaeus and Aristotle’s classification?
a) It is based on the morphological characteristics
b) These classifications resulted in organisms that are of completely different in the same group
c) It considered the evolutionary relationships of the organisms
d) They managed to include almost every organism in their classification
Explanation: Linnaeus and Aristotle’s classification is based on the morphological characteristics of the plants and animals. This classification resulted in classification of organisms like fungi and humans that completely different in the same group.
7. Linnaeus classified organisms based on their cell structure.
Explanation: Linnaeus didn’t consider the cell structure of organisms (prokaryotes and eukaryotes) in order to classify them. Linnaeus classification is based on the morphological characteristics of organisms.
8. Linnaeus classified amoeba under _________
Explanation: Linnaeus classified amoeba under Animalia. His classification didn’t consider cell structure, nature of the cell wall, mode of reproduction, evolutionary relationships which resulted amoeba in Animalia.
9. Classification of organisms by Linnaeus and Aristotle didn’t include many organisms.
Explanation: Classification of organisms by Linnaeus and Aristotle didn’t include many organisms like fungi, bacteria and viruses into either of the kingdoms. Instead they were forced to come under either of these.
10. According to Aristotle Chlorella comes under _______
Explanation: Aristotle classified organisms as Plants and Animals. He considered Chlorella under the category of Plants. His classification didn’t consider structure of the cell which resulted in Chlorella under Plants in his classification.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biology – Class 11.
To practice Biology Multiple Choice Questions and Answers for Class 11, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Biology - Class 11
- Participate in Biology - Class 11 Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Biology - Class 11
- Take Biology - Class 11 Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10