This set of Human Physiology Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Human Brain and its Functions”.
1. The supporting and nutritive cells found in brains are _______
d) Ependymal cells
Explanation: Astrocytes are star shaped glial cells of the central nervous system. They are supporting and nutritive cells found in brains.
2. Which of the following does not act as a neurotransmitter?
Explanation: Cortisone is a pregnane steroid hormone. It is released by the adrenal gland in response to the stress. Cortisone is not a neurotransmitter.
3. ________ is a quick response to the stimuli that passes the brain.
a) Reflex action
b) Voluntary action
c) Knee jerk
Explanation: Reflex action is an involuntary and instantaneous movement in response to the stimulus. A reflex is made possible by neural pathways called reflex arcs which can act on an impulse before that impulse reaches the brain.
4. The cerebellum is located between the cerebrum and the brain stem in the back of the head. It helps in __________
a) Breathing and controlling blood pressure
b) Balance and coordination
c) Voluntary movement
d) Speech and hearing
Explanation: Cerebellum receives information from the sensory systems. It helps in balance and coordination.
5. The outer covering of the brain is covered with __________
b) Nerve cells
Explanation: The outer covering of the brain is called the cerebral cortex. It is covered with nerve cells.
6. The brain stem is composed of _________
a) Brain buds and flowers
b) Spinal cord
c) Axon and vertebra
d) Medulla pons and middle brain tissue
Explanation: The brainstem is the posterior part of the brain, adjoin and structurally continuous with the spinal cord. It consists of medulla oblongata pons and midbrain.
7. What connects two hemispheres of the brain?
b) Pia matter
c) Corpus callosum
Explanation: The Corpus callosum is a thick band of nerve fibers that divides the cerebral cortex lobes into left and right hemisphere. It connects the left and right sides of the brain for communication between both hemispheres.
8. Fluid filled cavity in the brain is called as ___________
Explanation: Fluid filled cavity in the brain is called as ventricles. It contains cerebrospinal fluid. Within each ventricle is a region of choroid plexus.
9. Which part of the brain controls higher mental activities like reasoning?
a) Temporal lobe
b) Frontal lobe
c) Medulla oblongata
Explanation: Frontal lobe is a part of the brain that controls important cognitive skills in humans. It is the largest of four major lobes and is located at the front of the brain.
10. Which part of the brain controls emotion experiences?
a) Pia matter
c) Limbic system
d) Medulla oblongata
Explanation: Limbic system includes amygdale, hippocampus, thalamus, hypothalamus, basal ganglia and cingulated gyrus. The amygdale is the emotion centre of the brain.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Human Anatomy and Physiology.
To practice all areas of Human Anatomy and Physiology, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.