This set of IC Engine online quiz focuses on “Terminologies and Definations”.
1. Crankcase explosion in I.C. engine usually occurs as
a) first a mild explosion followed by a big explosion
b) first a big explosion followed by a mild explosion
c) both mild and big explosions occur simultaneously
d) never occurs
2. The ____________ volume created in the cylinder during the operation of the engine is filled with the working fluid.
c) any one of the mentioned
d) none of the mentioned
3. ____________ forms the first link in transmitting the gas forces to the output shaft.
c) Combustion chamber
d) Exhaust manifold
Explanation: Piston fits perfectly into the cylinder providing a gas-tight space with the piston rings and the lubricant and forms the first link in transmitting the gas forces to the output shaft.
4. The function of a fuel pump in a petrol pump is to
a) inject fuel in cylinder
b) supply fuel when carburetor fails
c) pump fuel so that it reaches carburetor
d) improve thermal efficiency
5. If overhead clearance is less, then the following type of engine should be selected
b) In-line type
6. Which is the false statement about advantages of V-type engine?
a) compact design requiring lesser space
b) improved distribution of air to cylinder
c) casting less liable to distortion
d) less overhead clearance
Explanation: In horizontal type engine, less overhead clearance is found.
7. The pistons are usually given a coating such as tin plating in order to
a) reduce weight
b) conduct heat efficiently
c) reduce possibility of scoring
d) reduce friction
Explanation: Pistons are provided with tin coating to reduce scoring.
8. Piston rings are usually made of
a) cast iron
c) carbon steel
d) phosphor bronze
9. Piston rings are plated with chromium, cadmium or phosphate in order to
a) reduce cost
b) improve surface finish
c) prevent clogging
d) reduce wear and eliminate scuffing
Explanation: Piston rings are plated to reduce wear and eliminate scuffing.
10. The top piston ring nearer to the piston crown is known as
a) compression ring
b) oil ring
c) scrapper ring
d) groove ring
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – IC Engine.
To practice all areas of IC Engine for online Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.