This set of IC Engines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Carburetion”.
1. A carburetor is used to supply _____________
a) petrol, air and lubricating oil
b) air and diesel
c) petrol and lubricating oil
d) petrol and air
Explanation: The purpose of the carburetor is to supply petrol and air.
2. The compensating jet in a carburetor supplies an almost constant amount of petrol at all speeds because the ____________
a) jet area is automatically varied depending on the suction
b) the flow from the main jet is diverted to the compensating jet with an increase in speed
c) the diameter of the jet is constant and the discharge coefficient is invariant
d) flow is produced due to the static head in the float chamber
3. Which of the following does not relate to spark ignition engine?
a) Ignition coil
b) Spark plug
d) Fuel injector
Explanation: Fuel injector is not related to spark ignition engine as there is no fuel injection in spark ignition engine.
4. Which of the following does not relate to a compression ignition engine?
a) Fuel pump
b) Fuel injector
Explanation: Carburetor is not related to compression ignition engine.
5. In carburetors, the top of the fuel jet with reference to the level in the float chamber is kept at ____________
a) same level
b) slightly higher level
c) slightly lower level
d) may be anywhere
6. Carburetion is done to ____________
a) feed petrol into cylinder
b) govern the engine
c) break up and mix the petrol with air
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: The purpose of carburetion is to break up and mix the petrol with air.
7. Power impulses from IC engine are smoothed out by ____________
b) crank shaft
c) gear box
Explanation: Power impulses from IC engine are smoothed out by flywheel as the energy is stored in the flywheel.
8. Which of the following type of carburetor is preferred?
a) concentric type
b) eccentric type
c) horizontal type
d) vertical type
Explanation: Concentric type of carburetor is preferred as it gives a better fuel ratio.
9. In the passenger cars, which of the following type of carburetor is preferred?
a) horizontal type
b) downward draught type
c) upward draught type
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: In the passenger cars, a downward draught type of carburetor is preferred to meet the load fuel ratio.
10. What is the part load efficiency of a carburetor?
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – IC Engine.
To practice all areas of IC Engine, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!