This set of Automotive Engine Components Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IC Engine – Piston Pin”.
1. What is the function of the piston pin?
a) To connect the piston to the crankshaft
b) To connect the piston to the piston head
c) To connect cam to the piston
d) To connect the piston to the connecting rod
Explanation: The major function of the piston pin is to connect the piston to the connecting rod. The piston pin is also called a gudgeon pin or wrist pin.
2. Piston pin is having which cross-section?
a) Hollow rectangular
b) Solid circular
c) Hollow circular
d) Solid rectangular
Explanation: Piston pin is made of the hollow circular cross-section to reduce its weight. However, the strength of solid circular-section is equal to a hollow circular cross-section.
3. Piston pin passes through which part of the piston?
a) Oil ring
b) Riffle hole
c) Piston bosses
d) Compression ring
Explanation: Piston pin passes through the piston bosses provided on the inner side of the piston skirt and a bearing bush inside the small end of a connecting rod.
4. The end movement of the piston pin is restricted by which component?
Explanation: The end movement of the piston pin is restricted by the means of the circlip, circlip is a thin circular wire that is connected on both the side of the piston pin.
5. Calculate the resisting force when (Pb)l=5N/mm2, d0=110mm, l1=67?
Explanation: Resisting force=(Pb)ld0l1
6. What is the formula to calculate resisting force?
a) Resisting force=(Pmax)ld0l1
b) Resisting force=(Pb)ldil1
c) Resisting force=(Pb)ld0l1
d) Resisting force=(Pb)ld0ls
Explanation: The formula to calculate Resisting force is (Pb)ld0l1where (Pb)l is the bearing pressure at the bush, d0 is the outer diameter and l1 is the length of the piston pin.
7. Calculate the inner diameter of the piston when the outer diameter is 50mm?
Explanation: Inner diameter di=0.6×d0
8. Calculate the mean diameter of the piston boss for grey cast iron piston, when do=50mm?
Explanation: Mean diameter of piston bosses di=1.4×d0
9. Calculate the mean diameter of the piston boss for aluminum alloy piston, when do=50mm?
Explanation: Mean diameter of piston bosses di=1.6×d0
10. The small gap between the cylinder liner and piston is known as _____
a) piston rib
b) piston clearance
c) piston head
d) wrist clearance
Explanation: Piston clearance is the clearance between the cylinder liner and piston that is provided to take care of thermal expansion and distortion under load.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Automotive Engine Components Design.
To practice all areas of Automotive Engine Components Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!