This set of Automotive Engine Components Design Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “IC Engine – Piston”.
1. Piston is a______ part of IC engine.
Explanation: The piston is a reciprocating part of the IC engine that performs several functions. It seals the inside portion of the cylinder from the crankcase using a piston ring.
2. Which force is the reason for the downward moment of the piston during power stroke?
a) Fuel pressure
b) Gas pressure
c) Solid pressure
d) Liquid pressure
Explanation: Pistons transmit the force due to gas pressure inside the cylinder to the crankshaft through the connecting rod. The gas pressure is created by the combustion inside the engine.
3. Gas is compressed during which the stroke of the engine?
a) Suction stroke
b) Compression stroke
c) Power stroke
d) Exhaust stroke
Explanation: The Piston compresses the gas during the compression Stroke. It takes the side thrust resulting from the obliquity of the connecting rod. Due to compression, the temperature of the charge increases.
4. Why the length of piston in the 2-stroke engine is more when compared to the 4-stroke engine?
a) Absence of valve mechanism
b) Missing of Power stroke
c) It is not 4-stroke
d) Air resistance
Explanation: Due to the absence of a valve mechanism, the intake and exhaust of the 2-stroke engine have to be controlled by the piston itself. Hence, the length of the piston in a 2-stroke engine is more when compared to the 4-stroke engine.
5. What is that convex part on the piston on a 2-stroke engine is known as?
Explanation: The convex part on the piston on a 2-stroke engine is known as a deflector. This deflector helps in scavenging, this diverts the exhaust gas to move towards the exhaust port.
6. Which of the mentioned below is not a part of the piston?
c) Gudgeon pin
d) Oil ring
Explanation: Circlip, Gudgeon pin, and oil ring are all the part of the piston. Whereas, Shim is a component related to the valve mechanism, using this Valve lift can be altered.
7. Using which component Piston and connecting rod are connected?
b) Gudgeon pin
Explanation: The piston and connecting rod are connected through the Gudgeon pin. It is also called a piston pin and wrist pin. The end movement of the gudgeon pin is stopped by a circlip.
8. Which part of the piston experience High thermal stress?
c) Top land
Explanation: Head is the topmost part of the piston. It is the first part to experience the heat due to combustion and experience high thermal stresses. It is also called a piston crown.
9. Piston should result in noiseless operation.
Explanation: Piston should always result in noiseless operation. If there is a noise, it indicates that there is a friction created due to an error in the design. The drops the efficiency of the engine.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Automotive Engine Components Design.
To practice all areas of Automotive Engine Components Design, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Automotive Engine Design
- Participate in Automotive Engine Design Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Automotive Engine Design
- Take Automotive Engine Design Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10