This set of IC Engines Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Engine Performance Characteristics”.
1. For which of the following engines a prony brake is used to measure brake power?
a) single cylinder engine
b) low speed engine
c) low power engine
d) variable speed engine
Explanation: Prony brake is used to measure the brake power of variable speed engines.
2. What does scavenging air mean?
a) Burnt air containing combustion products
b) Air sent under compression
c) Forced air for cooling the engine cylinder
d) Air used for forcing the burnt gases out of cylinder during the exhaust period
Explanation: Scavenging air is defined as the air used for forcing the burnt gases out of cylinder during the exhaust period.
3. ____________ is the basic requirement of a good combustion chamber.
a) Low volumetric efficiency
b) High compression ratio
c) Low compression ratio
d) High power output and high thermal efficiency
Explanation: The basic requirement of a good combustion chamber are:
i) High power output
ii) High thermal efficiency and low specific fuel consumption
iii) smooth engine operation
iv) reduced exhaust pollutants.
4. ____________ is the method of governing used in petrol engine.
a) Quality governing
b) Hit and mass governing
c) Quantity governing
d) All of the mentioned
Explanation: Quality governing is generally used in petrol engines as the quantity of air -fuel mixture flowing into the cylinder is varied accordingly and this may be done by decreasing the lift of the inlet valve or by throttling the mixture before it is made to enter the engine cylinder.
5. Hunting occurs due to which of the following?
a) Faulty governor
b) Poor control by the governor
c) Over control by the governor
d) Bad engine design
Explanation: Hunting occurs due to load variation and this is only when the governor is not controlled properly.
6. Maximum torque is generated by an engine when ______________
a) it runs at lowest speed
b) it develops maximum power
c) it consumes maximum fuel
d) it runs at maximum speed
Explanation: Maximum torque is generated by an engine when it runs at lowest speed while maximum power is developed when the engine rums at its maximum speed.
7. With an increase of the number of cylinders in a multicylinder engine the power to weight ratio ______________
c) remains unaffected
d) none of the mentioned
Explanation: The power to weight ratio remains unaffected even after if the number of cylinders in a multicylinder is increased because as the number of cylinders increases, torque is smoother and less flywheel mass is needed.
8. Radiator tubes are generally made of______________
a) cast iron
Explanation: Brass is used to make radiator pipes due to its heat resistance capacities.
9. Automobile gears are generally made of ______________
a) cast iron
b) stainless steel
c) alloy steel
d) mild steel
Explanation: Steel mixed with copper, zinc and tin is used to make gears in automobiles.
10. ____________ is used to check the state of charge of a battery.
a) Battery charger
d) Battery eliminator
Explanation: Battery charger is used to check the state of charge of a battery while hygrometer is used to check the air humidity and hydrometer is used to check the specific gravity.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – IC Engine.
To practice all areas of IC Engine, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in IC Engine
- Participate in IC Engine Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in IC Engine
- Take IC Engine Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Practice Mechanical Engineering MCQs
- Buy Mechanical Engineering Books
- Apply for Mechanical Engineering Internship
- Buy IC Engine Books
- Apply for IC Engine Internship