This set of Building Construction Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Roof Coverings for Pitched Roofs – 1”.
1. Which of the following about thatch roof coverings is false?
a) They are very light
b) They are not stable against winds
c) They are non-combustible
d) They are likely to decay
Explanation: Thatch roof covering is widely used in villages because of its less cost. They are very light and are not stable against winds. They are likely to decay easily and are highly combustible.
2. Wood shingles roofing is not fire-resistant.
Explanation: Wood shingles roofing is not fire resistant. Shingles are thin slabs of wood that are used to cover the roofs. They are used only in hilly areas where local timber is easily and cheaply available.
3. The thickness of a thatch roof covering should be at least ___________
a) 5 cm
b) 7 cm
c) 10 cm
d) 15 cm
Explanation: The thickness of a thatch roof covering should be at least 15 cm. It consists of bundles of straw or reeds. Generally, a straw thatch can last for about 20 years and a reed thatch can last for about 60 years.
4. Plain tiles are generally made of ___________
Explanation: Plain tiles are generally made of clay. they can also be made of concrete but usually, clay tiles are more common. They are manufactured in rectangular shapes of thickness varying from 9 mm to 15 mm.
5. Pan-tiles are _________
a) Single lapped
b) Double lapped
c) Triple lapped
d) Quadruple lapped
Explanation: Pan-tiles are single lapped. These tiles are flat longitudinally and curved transversally. However, plain tiles are double lapped.
6. Which of the following types of tiles are laid in pairs of over-tiles and under-tiles?
a) Pan tiles
b) Plain tiles
c) Flat tiles
d) Half-round country tiles
Explanation: Half-round country tiles are laid in pairs of over-tiles and under-tiles. The under-tiles are laid with the concave surface upwards and the over-tiles are laid with the convex surface upwards. These tiles are similar to Spanish tiles.
7. Which of the following statements about asbestos cement sheets is not correct?
a) They are light in weight
b) They are fire-resistant
c) They require protective paint
d) They are vermin resistant
Explanation: Asbestos cement sheets are light in weight, fire-resistant and vermin resistant. They do not require any protective paint. These sheets are widely used in industries, factories, cinemas, auditoriums etc.
8. Which of the following is not a type of asbestos cement roof coverings?
a) Everest small-seven corrugated A.C. sheets
b) Everest big-six corrugated A.C. sheets
c) Everest standard corrugated A.C. sheets
d) Everest trafford A.C. sheets
Explanation: Asbestos cement roof coverings come in three types in India. These are Everest big-six corrugated A.C. sheets, Everest standard corrugated A.C. sheets and Everest trafford A.C. sheets.
9. Which of the following is not a component of asbestos cement sheets?
d) Portland cement
Explanation: Asbestos-cement sheets are made of asbestos, fibre and portland cement. They consist of nearly 15% fibre. Nowadays, asbestos cement is widely used in the manufacturing of roofing slates and tiles.
10. White asbestos is a compound of _______ and ________
a) Magnesium, aluminium
b) Magnesia, silica
c) Magnesia, aluminium
d) Aluminium, silica
Explanation: White asbestos is a compound of magnesia and silica. It is the most often used form of asbestos. It is used in the roofs and ceilings of industrial buildings and even residential buildings.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Building Construction.
To practice all areas of Building Construction, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Construction and Building Materials Internship
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Buy Construction and Building Materials Books