This set of Building Materials MCQs focuses on “Essential Factors of Planning”.
1. _______ used to mean the regulation of admitting more or less sunshine in the room.
Explanation: The meaning of aspect has now been given wider scope and it includes the arrangement of doors and windows in the external walls of buildings particularly of residential buildings, so as to fully enjoy the natural gifts of sunshine, Breeze, scenery, etc.
2. The term ______ is used to mean the link or access or movement between the various rooms and floors of building.
Explanation: The proper provision of circulation makes the building comfortable and convenient. The circulation in a building is of two types- Horizontal circulation and Vertical circulation.
3. _________ is used to indicate the architectural effect produced by elevation in relation to width, height position of doors and windows, materials employed in the construction of external walls, etc.
a) Furniture requirements
Explanation: The result of elegance is aesthetics and without the aesthetics sense, the elevation will be devoid of elegance. For creating elegant structures, it is necessary to understand clearly the principles of architectural design and composition.
4. The placing of various rooms or units of a structure in a proper correlation of their functions and in due proximity with each other is known as ________
Explanation: Correct grouping grants the status of a balanced design. For instance, in a residential building, kitchen and dining room should be grouped close to each other. It is observed that grouping leads to saving in unnecessary movements proper correlation easy control and overall economy.
5. One of the important requirements of good planning is ______
b) Furniture requirements
Explanation: Privacy offers special comfort to the occupants. It should not be confused as it is the total isolation and is desirable only in certain cases as study rooms, library, etc. Privacy is of two types- External privacy and Internal privacy.
6. The term _______ is used to refer the effect derived from space of a room that is its length, width and height.
Explanation: Roominess is nothing but the feeling of spaciousness. The planning of room should be such that maximum benefit is obtained from the minimum dimensions of the room. For example rectangle shaped room looks more spacious than square shaped room of same area.
7. As a principle of planning, the term _______ is used to mean architectural hygiene.
c) Water supply
d) Waste water
Explanation: Sanitation comprise of drainage system and water supply. It includes proper sanitation of waste water along with its treatment and supply to the major pipelines.
8. Due to improper ventilation, which gas gets stuck into house and develops dizziness to the occupants.
c) Carbon dioxide
Explanation: If the room is not properly ventilated, there will be excessive quantity of carbon dioxide in the air. The more the amount of carbon dioxide, the more difficult is the breathing. For comfortable working, the carbon dioxide content should be limited to about 0.6% by volume.
9. The proper and sufficient ventilation results in absence of _________
Explanation: The difference of temperature between the outside air and the inside air tends to the deposition of moisture on the room surfaces. This is known as the condensation and it can be effectively controlled by the provision of suitable ventilation of the room.
10. The ________ is required to control dust and other impurities in the air.
Explanation: Controlling dust and other impurities from coming into the building is the main cause of insisting proper ventilation in the commercial buildings. The ventilation is also required to suppress odours, smoke, concentration of bacteria, etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice MCQs on all areas of Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.