This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Types of Windows”.
1. __________ are the windows, the shutters of which open the doors.
a) Double Hung Windows
b) Casement windows
c) Pivoted window
d) Sliding Windows
Explanation: The construction of a Casement window is similar to the door construction and it consists of a frame, styles, rails, vertical and horizontal Sash bars and sometimes, it also include mullion and transoms.
2. _________ windows consists of a pair of shutter which can slide within the groove provided in the frame.
Explanation: Double-hung Windows is so arrange that the upper sash moves in the downward direction, thus opening at the top and the lower Sash moves in the upward direction, thus opening at the bottom.
3. In ________ windows, the shutters are allowed to swing around the pivot.
Explanation: The frame of a Pivoted window is just similar to casement window except that no rebates are provided. The windows maybe vertically pivoted or horizontally pivoted.
4. _________ windows are similar to the sliding doors and the shutter moves on the roller bearings, either horizontally or vertically.
Explanation: In Sliding Windows, suitable openings are provided in the walls to receive the shutters when Windows are opened out. Such Windows are provided in trains, buses, Bank counters, shops, etc.
5. In __________ windows, the louvers are provided as in case of Louvered doors.
Explanation: Louvers allow free passage of air when closed and at the same time, they maintain sufficient privacy. The shutter consists of top rail, bottom rail and two styles which are group to receive the louvers. The economical angle of inclination of the louvers is 45° and they are generally fixed in position.
6. ______ are fully glazed casement windows.
a) Casement window
b) Metal windows
c) Corner windows
d) Sash windows
Explanation: The sashes are rebated to receive glass panels. The width and depth of rebates is about 15 mm and 5 mm respectively. The glass is secured in position either by putty or by small fillets, known as glazing beads.
7. __________ are nowadays widely used, especially for public buildings.
a) Circular windows
b) Gable windows
c) Dormer windows
d) Metal windows
Explanation: The metal used in the construction maybe mild steel, bronze or other alloys. The Steel Windows are manufactured in standard sizes and are widely used metal Windows. The metal frame maybe fix directly to the wall or it may be fixed on a wooden frame.
8. __________ windows are provided at the corner of a room.
Explanation: Corner Windows are placed at the corner of room and thus they have two faces in two perpendicular directions. Due to such situation, there is entry of light and air from two directions and in many cases, the elevation of the building is also improved.
9. ______________ are the windows provided on the sloping rooms.
Explanation: The main purpose of providing Dormer Windows is to admit light and air to rooms which are constructed within or below the roof slopes. Whereas, Circular Windows are pivoted Windows of circular shape. They are useful for factories, workshops, etc.
10. ________ windows project outside the external wall of a room.
Explanation: Bay Windows may be square, splayed, circular, polygon or of any shape. The projection of Bay Windows may start from floor level to sill level. These Windows admit more light, increase opening area, provide ventilation and improve the appearance of the building.
11. _________ windows are provided near the top of main roof.
Explanation: The Clerestorey Windows provide ventilation to the inside of the room as the front is blocked by the verandah. They also improve the appearance of the building. The care should be taken to see that the upper part opens inside and the lower parts open outside.
12. __________ are the windows which are fixed on the flat roofs to provide light in the inner portion of the building where light coming from the windows in the external wall is insufficient.
a) Lantern lights
Explanation: Lantern Windows or Lantern lights may be square or rectangular or curved. The glass panel are general fixed. But if ventilation is also required in addition to light, the Pivoted Windows may be provided.
13. ________________ are the windows which are provided on the sloping surface of a pitched roof.
b) Bay Windows
c) Clerestorey Windows
d) Lantern Windows
Explanation: The common rafters are suitability trimmed and the skylight is erected on the curb frame. As Skylight are mainly mean for light, they are usually provided with the fix glass panels. The opening of skylight is properly treated by lead flashing to make waterproof and roof area surrounding the opening.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.