This set of Building Materials Interview Questions and Answers focuses on “Basic Functional Requirements of a Building”.
1. Construction of cavity walls as external walls to protect the building from outside heat or cold as the hollow space between two walls act as an________
a) Burning material
b) Insulating material
c) Destructive material
d) Building material
Explanation: Properly insulated building cuts down the cost of electric burning in summer as well as in winter. Cavity walls is one of the types of thermal insulation which consists of two walls with cavity in between them.
2. __________ in a building means the free passage of clean air in a building.
Explanation: Ventilation is essential in every building. The main cause of insisting proper ventilation in the industrial buildings is to control dust and other impurities from entering into the building rooms.
3. Which gas leads to suffocation and dizziness to the occupants when increase in its quantity in the air.
a) Carbon monoxide
d) Carbon dioxide
Explanation: If the room is not properly ventilated, there will be excessive quantity of carbon dioxide in the air. It is observed that breathing is difficult when the amount of carbon dioxide by volume is about 6% and a man loses consciousness when it reaches about 10% or so.
4. The termite, which are responsible for the destruction of wooden materials, are popularly known as _______
a) Red ants
b) White ants
c) Black ants
d) Big ants
Explanation: There are over 2300 species of termites but only about 4% of the termite spaces are responsible for the damage of the buildings. The termites live in a colony and they are very fast in eating wooden and other cellulosic materials as food.
5. The science which deals with the sound insulation in a building is known as _____
d) Air borne
Explanation: The terms sound insulation all soundproofing is used to indicate the reduction in the level of sound when it passes through a building component. Acoustics becomes very essential in some buildings like cinema hall, Auditorium, Opera House, etc.
6. Fire extinguisher extinguishes the small fires in the house bye using _____
a) Carbon dioxide
b) Nitrogen gas
Explanation: Standards of fire safety or fire extinguishers are specified in the Building Code should be provided with sufficient and quick fire exit. Fire extinguishers are one of the important building requirements which helps in extinguishing small fires.
7. The process in which the difference of temperature between the outside air and the inside air tends to the deposition of moisture on the room surfaces is known as ______
Explanation: The temperature difference which leads to condensation can be effectively controlled by the provision of suitable ventilation of a room.
8. The treatment given to the roof of a building to prevent the roof from the leakage of water is known as _________
a) Fire proofing
b) Damp proofing
c) Termite proofing
d) Sound proofing
Explanation: One of the basic requirements in case of all the buildings is that the structural should remain dry as far as possible. If this condition is not satisfied, it is likely that the building may become inhabitable and hence damp proofing or water proofing is required.
9. _________ is a flexible material which is commonly used for the damp proofing.
a) Hot bitumen
b) Bituminous felts
c) Mastic asphalt
d) Metal sheets
Explanation: Due to its physical nature, hot bitumen remain flexible even after cooling and it is placed on the bedding of concrete or mortar. This material should be applied with the minimum thickness of 3 mm. Whereas Mastic Asphalt is a semi rigid material and it forms and excellent impervious layer for damp proofing.
10. Which one of the given below is a chemical insecticide for termite proofing.
b) Sulphuric acid
Explanation: Dieldrin is a chlorinated hydrocarbon. The application of this chemical serve as a chemical barrier between the building and the ground and this method has proved to be most effective method of termite proofing. Whereas, Rodenticide is used for killing rats.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Building Materials for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.