This set of Building Materials Questions and Answers for Freshers focuses on “Stairs Technical Terms”.
1. A __________ is defined as a sequence of steps and it is provided to afford the means of Ascent and Descent between the floors or landings.
Explanation: The apartment or room of building, in which the stair is located, is known as a staircase and opening or space occupied by stair is known as a Stairway.
2. _________ is the vertical member which is fixed between string and handrail to give support to the handrail.
Explanation: The combined framework of handrail and balusters is known as balustrade or barrister. Whereas, flight is defined as an unbroken series of step between the landing.
3. The incline rail over the string is known as a _________
Explanation: Handrail is generally moulded and some forms of handles varies with shape. The Handrail serves as a guide rail and it should be provided at a convenient height so as to give grasp to the hand during Ascent and descent.
4. _________ is the horizontal distance between the faces of two consecutive Risers.
d) Newel post
Explanation: Whereas, Nawel post is the vertical member with is placed at the ends of flight to connect the ends of Strings and handrails.
5. The horizontal platform between two flights of a Stair is known as the _________
Explanation: A landing facilitates change of direction and provides an opportunity for taking rest during the use of a stair. Whereas, the vertical distance between two consecutive threads is known as a rise.
6. The protecting part of the tread beyond the face of Riser is known as a __________
Explanation: The term line of Nosing is used to denote an imaginary line parallel to the strings and tangential to the Nosing. It is useful in the construction of handrails.
7. The vertical or Front member of the step, which is connected to the treads, is known as a __________
Explanation: Whereas, the angle of inclination of the stairs with the floor is known as a Pitch. It also indicates the angle which the line of nursing makes with the horizontal.
8. The total length of a Stair in a horizontal plane is known as the __________
Explanation: Riser includes the length of landings also. Whereas, Scotia is an additional finish or moulding provided to the nosing or tread to improve the elevation of the step and to provide strength to the nosing.
9. ____________ has one end or both ends splayed in plan.
a) Bullnose step
b) Balancing step
c) Splayed step
d) Common step
Explanation: Whereas, bullnose step is generally provided at the bottom of flight. It projects in front of the Newel post and it ends form a circular quadrant in a plan.
10. A combination of tread and riser is known as ___________
Explanation: Whereas, the under surface of a Stair is known as the soffit. It is generally covered with ceiling or finished with plaster.
11. _________ is an ordinary step of rectangular shape in plan.
b) Round-ended step
c) Splayed step
d) Common step
Explanation: Whereas, Round-ended step is similar to a boon or step accept that its end or ends are semi-circular in plan. And, a common step has a curved riser and tread.
12. __________ do not radiate from a common centre.
a) Common step
b) Dancing steps
Explanation: Whereas, the thickness of the structural slab in case of an RCC Stair is known as a waist. And, the horizontal upper portion of the stair is known as a tread.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Building Materials for Freshers, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Construction and Building Materials Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Apply for Construction and Building Materials Internship