This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Hoisting Equipments”.
1. A __________________ roller is a multi purpose roller which is used for various purposes and for practically all type of roads.
a) Smooth wheeled
c) Rubber tyred
d) Dead weight
Explanation: Smooth wheeled rollers are suitable to compact a wide range of soils, preferably granular soil and pavement material for various layers. These rollers are particularly helpful in compacting soil and other materials where a crushing action is advantages.
2. Effective compaction is not achieved by ____________ rollers.
a) Rubber tyred
b) Sheep’s foot
d) Smooth wheeled
Explanation: The performance of three wheeled roller is a better as compared to a two wheel unit because of concentration of pressure on the middle wheel when the roller passes over a spot in the surface that is being compacted. The single wheel roller has diameter of about 900 mm and length of about 1.20 metres.
3. ________________ consist of a vibrating unit mounted on a screed, plate or roller.
a) Earth rammers
c) Vibrating rollers
d) Vibratory compactors
Explanation: In Vibratory compactors, the vibrating unit maybe the out of balance weight type or a pulsating hydraulic type. This type of compactors is the most suitable for coarse grained soil.
4. The ________________ compact soil close to the earth surface only.
a) Earth rammers
b) Vibrating rollers
Explanation: The vibrating earth rammers are generally used to achieve better compaction of soil. The vibration also makes it possible to adopt small and light equipment and to lay soil in the thick layers. The earth rammer maybe run buy petrol or diesel engines.
5. _______________ are the most commonly used equipment for transportation.
a) Dump trucks
Explanation: The Truck capacity varies from 0.4 metre cube to 20 m cube and its speed varies from 10 km per hour to 100 km per hour. According to self weight light trucks having weight upto 1 tonne, medium truck having weight upto 1.5 tonnes to 3 tonnes and heavy truck having with more than 3.5 tonnes and up to 10 tonnes.
6. _________________ is a self propelled machine which is used mainly to exert a powerful tractive force for pulling other machines.
Explanation: The tractors are used for agricultural operations such as hoeing, tilling, harvesting, etc. When tractors are equipped with shovels, they can be used for the mining operations. The tractors maybe crawler mounted or wheel mounted.
7. The trucks with automatic unloading device are called ________________
d) Dump trucks
Explanation: In Dump trucks, loading is done manually or by loaders and unloading is done by the device fitted in the truck. Its capacity varies from 50 to 55 tonnes.
8. __________________ are very useful for horizontal transportation of materials like bricks, aggregates, scaffoldings, etc.
Explanation: Dumpers are available in different sizes and varieties. They maybe four wheel drive, two wheel drive, hydraulic or gravity operated container, side or high level discharge self loading dumpers, etc. Usually Dumpers are diesel powered and operated by single operator.
9. _________________ are extra wagons attached to the tractors or trucks.
Explanation: Trailers can be full trailers, semi trailers or trailers. They have hydraulic brakes and their lighting system is operated from main units.
10. ___________________ are used for vertical transportation of aggregates and wet concrete on large project sites.
Explanation: To raise the materials like bricks, tiles, cement, etc. to the upper floor level. Elevators moving with high speeds are used. They have short chassis and strong dumping bodies. Dumping of material can be in front or at the back.
11. In order to raise and shift heavy loads from one place to another, the _________ are employed in the construction of big works.
Explanation: To transport materials or passengers vertically by means of a moving level platform, material hoist or passenger hoists are used. The cranes are mobile and a mobile crane can be used for various other purposes such as to load and unload the material in coal mines by attaching a magnet to the crane, etc.
12. ________________ crane is used for open sites and it possesses a very long reach.
c) Swing jib
Explanation: Derrick cranes can be slewed for 250° approximately. When the Darrick crane is to be permanently installed, counterweight maybe in the form of concrete blocks.
13. In _________________ type of crane, heavy temporary staging or platform is prepared for the working of the crane.
b) Swing jib
Explanation: In Goliath cranes, heavy loads can be shifted over considerable distances. These cranes are costly and are used in the construction of Harbour works, shops of Steel work, etc.
14. ________________ are cranes of Swing jib type and are mounted on high Steel Towers.
b) Swing jib
Explanation: The height of Tower maybe 25 to 30 meters and these cranes are found to be extremely useful in the construction of tall buildings in congested area. The ground area required for such cranes is also very small and they can be prepared very close to buildings.
15. A ________________ consists of a coil whose diameter is about 50 mm to 100 mm.
b) Tower crane
Explanation: The cable has a breaking strength of 2500 kN to 7000 kN and its Unit Weight is about 150 Newton to 500 Newton per metre length. The use of cable way is usually made in the transport of concrete from one place to the other.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.