This set of Construction Materials Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Terms Used in Carpentry”.
1. The term ________ includes such forms of construction which have to resist is due to loads coming up on them.
Explanation: A carpenter construct permanent Timber work such as roof, floor, etc. as well as temporary Timber works such as scaffolding, Shoring, centering, etc.
2. The term ____________ is used to indicate the art of preparing internal fittings and finishing of timber.
Explanation: A Joiner construct Timber work such as doors, Windows, stairs, floor boards, furniture, cupboards, etc. Thus the joinery is used for delicated construction requiring precise workmanship for enhancing the architectural beauty of timber.
3. ________________ is a semi-circular projection which is formed on the edges of surfaces of wood.
Explanation: Bead is used at the joints of Straight board to avoid the unsightly appearance of the joint in case of shrinkage of wood. The four forms of Bead, namely, single quirked beads, double quirked flush beads, cock bead and cock bead with fillet.
4. _____________ term is used to indicate the taking off the edge of corner or arris of a wooden piece.
Explanation: Chamfering forms an angle of 45° and a V joint will be formed when two chamfered pieces are placed together. If the angle of chamfer is other than 45°, it is known as the Bevel. If the chamfer does not continue for the full length of timber, it is called as Stopped Chamfer.
5. _______________ is a term which is used to indicate a recess formed in a piece of timber.
Explanation: If the groove is made parallel to the grain of wood, it is called the Plough grooving and if the groove is made across the grain of wood, it is known as the cross grooving.
6. __________ are wooden blocks which are fixed previously to a wall to act as an additional support for wide architrave, ornamental moulds, etc.
Explanation: The surfaces of grounds are flush with plaster and thus they act as a guide for the plastering work. The grounds are used in superior work.
7. ___________ is a term which is used to indicate the sinking of edge of one piece of timber into another.
Explanation: Mitring is a term which is used to indicate a process of joining two pieces of timber at an angle. If one end of moulding is good to suit the profile of another moulding, it is known as scribing.
8. ___________ is a term which is used to indicate the process of formation of moulded sections.
Explanation: Moulding can be done either by hand or by machine. Whereas, the art of cutting of wood by means of saw is known as the Sawing.
9. The edge of portion overhanging a vertical surface is known as the ____________
Explanation: Nosing term has a slightly different meaning when used in relation to the step of a Stair. A rounded Nosing has the overhanging edge semi-circular in section.
10. The process of taking of the shaving from wood with the help of plane is known as the _______________
Explanation: Planing makes the timber surface smooth and the plane or smooth and surface is known as the dressed surface. Whereas, Studding term is applied to the fixing of small Timber battens to the timber was to which laths and broads are to be nailed.
11. _______________ is a term which is used to indicate the covering of entire or part of exposed surface of timber by means of Veneers.
Explanation: In Veneering, the inner position is designed to satisfy structural requirements and the Veneers are fixed for the decorative purposes. The Veneers may be laid in large sheets or into small pieces of suitable shapes.
12. _______________ indicates the lining of panelling of wood on the lower part of masonry walls say for height of about 600 mm from the floor level.
Explanation: Whereas, Rebating is a term which is used to indicate the process of preparing a rectangular portion on the edge of a timber piece so as to receive another timber piece which is also similarly cut.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction Materials for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.