This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Components of Formwork”.
1. The temporary casing is known as the ______
c) Built up
Explanation: When concrete is placed, it is in plastic state. It wants to be supported by temporary supports and casings of the desired shape till it becomes sufficiently strong to support its own weight. This temporary casing is known as the form work or forms or shuttering.
2. Forms whose components can be reused several times are known as the ______
b) Panel Forms
c) Newel forms
Explanation: The operation of removing the from work is commonly known as the stripping and when the stripping takes place, the components of the form work are removed and then reused for another part of the structure. Such forms whose components can be reused several times are known as the panel forms.
3. The ______ of formwork plays an significant role in the cost of concrete.
Explanation: The cost of formwork varies from 30% to 40% of the cost of concrete for ordinary structures and maybe go as high as 50% to 60% for special structures are just dams, bridges, etc.
4. The formwork should be sufficiently strong enough to bear the _____ of weight concrete as well as the weights of the equipment, labour, etc.
a) Live load
b) Dead load
c) Wind load
d) Snow load
Explanation: This requires careful design of formwork. The over estimation of load result inexpensive formwork and the underestimation of load results in the failure of formwork. The load on the vertical forms are to be assessed from various consideration such as the density of concrete, dimensions of section, etc.
5. The inside surface of formwork should be ________ so as to turn out a good concrete surface.
Explanation: The Smooth Surface is achieved by applying crude oil or soft soap solution to the inside surface of the formwork. This also makes the removal of formwork easy.
6. The _______ formwork is used for formwork when it is desired to reuse the formwork several times.
Explanation: The initial cost of steel formwork is very high. But it proves to be economical for large works requiring many repetitions of the form work.
7. The column formwork consists of a box prepared from ______ separate sides.
Explanation: The four sides of the box are held in position by wooden blocks, bolts and yokes. The formwork for an RCC column of section 300 mm× 300 mm.
8. The form work for an RCC floor consists of a ________ to receive the concrete.
Explanation: The Skeleton consist of rows of vertical post which carry small wooden beams and their tops. The planks for slab are placed on these beams.
9. The boxes for beams are play prepared from ____ sides and ____ bottom in formwork for an RCC floor.
a) One, One
b) Two, Two
c) One, Two
d) Two, One
Explanation: The vertical posts are suitable supported by lateral supports. The laterals, tampering blocks, base beams, wooden blocks and Struts are provided to make the formwork for floor strong enough to bear the load coming up on it.
10. In formwork for wall, the _____ are provided by vertical Struts and horizontal wales.
Explanation: The ties are provided to maintain the distance between the sheets and to resist the bursting action of concrete. In the small pieces of timber known as the spacers may be used and they are to be removed as the concrete reaches that level.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.