This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Materials used for Flooring”.
1. Formerly, the _____________ flooring was not favourite because of bad smell and ugly colour of the Asphalt.
Explanation: The Asphalt tiles, which are produced from natural Asphalt, bitumen, asbestos fibre and material pigments are available in different sizes and in a variety of colours. The asphalt Terrazo is formed by combination of Black Or coloured asphalt with marble chips.
2. __________________ material is used for cheap construction and for places where heavy articles are to be stacked as in case of godowns, Sheds, stores, etc.
Explanation: The bricks are laid on the floor and brick work is carried out in cement or lime Mortar. To get a better finish, the joints are pointed. The only drawback of this flooring is that it absorbs water.
3. The type of construction which is widely used for cheap residential buildings is known as the ______________________
a) Indian Patent Stone
b) American Stone
c) Hand made stone
d) Patent Stone
Explanation: The thickness of concrete layer is about 40 mm and it is carried out in proportion of 1 part of cement, two parts of sand and four parts of coarse aggregate by volume. The square or diagonal lines are made on the concrete surfaces which is still wet. This type of construction is known as the Indian Patent stone.
4. ___________ flooring is available in two forms, namely, tiles and carpet.
Explanation: The natural cock is the outer bark of the cork oak tree. The cork tiles which are manufactured from high grade cork bark, available in standard sizes with varying Shades and of different thicknesses.
5. ______________ flooring material is used when it is desired to transmit light to the floor below or to admit light to the basement from the upper floor.
Explanation: The structural glass is available in the form of tiles or slabs or bricks and it can be placed in suitable Framework so that the frame and the glass can sustain the anticipated loads.
6. ______________ flooring material is a mixture of linseed oil, gums and resins, pigments, wood flour, cork dust and other filling materials.
Explanation: The Linoleum should be laid over an effective damp proof course. The linoleum flooring is attractive in appearance, cheap, durable, resilient, comfortable, moderately warm and it can be easily clean. It reduces nose to a considerable extend and is used for residential buildings, restaurants, Railway, public transport buses, etc.
7. _____________ flooring is known as the composition flooring or jointless flooring.
Explanation: Magnesite Flooring material can be laid over stone, concrete or wooden floors. A coating of bituminous paint should be provided on the metal surface coming in contact with this flooring material. This flooring material is cheap and it can be laid over rough surfaces.
8. The ______________ is the cheapest flooring material and can be only adopted for ground floor.
Explanation: The murom is a form of disintegrated rock with binding material. It is laid in layers of 80 mm to 150 mm thickness over a prepaid subgrade and it is well consolidated and well water every time. Finally, layer of 25 mm thickness of powdered or fine moorum is spread and water is sprinkled over it.
9. _____________ flooring is just similar to Moorum flooring except that mud is used in place of Moorum.
Explanation: The moist selected Earth is evenly spread out and it is rammed well so as to get a consolidated thickness of about 150 mm. The water is not added during the process of ramming and small quantity of straw may be added to the moist earth before Ramming to avoid the formation of cracks on drying.
10. ______________ flooring material called polyvinyl Chloride and it is fabricated in the form of tiles, all different sizes and various colours shades.
Explanation: The PVC tile flooring is resilient, smooth and good looking. It can be easily clean. It is however costly and can be easily damaged when it comes in contact with burning objects. The PVC tiles are usually not laid on the wooden floor as the cost of preparing the surface to receive these types are considerably high.
11. _________________ flooring material is a mixture of raw rubber, fillers such as fibre, cork, etc. and pigments.
Explanation: Rubber Flooring can be laid over any smooth and dry surface. This flooring material is elastic, attractive in appearance, sanitary, comparatively warm and soft, but it is affected by oil and grease. This flooring material is used for bathrooms, hospitals, etc.
12. The flooring of _____________ material consists of square or rectangular slab of stones.
Explanation: The stone to be used for flooring should be hard, durable and of good quality. Before fixing in position, the stone slabs are dressed on all edges and joints are finished with cement. This type of flooring is durable, resistant to wear and cheap in stone districts.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.