This set of Construction Materials Problems focuses on “Types of Pointing”.
1. The exposed surfaces of walls to be provided with ___________
Explanation: The process of pointing is adopted for stone masonry or brick masonry wall plastering is carried out for expose surfaces of ceiling, walls, column, etc.
2. The term ______________ is used to denote the finishing of mortar joints of either stone masonry on Brick masonry.
Explanation: It is desirable to avoid pointing as far as possible. This is due to the fact that the pointing involve Raking out of joints which are constructed with good motor and filling the joints with motor which, in many cases, is not sufficiently watered.
3. The ________________ consists of equal volume of lime and sand.
a) Cement Mortar
b) Lime Mortar
Explanation: Lime and sand are carefully ground in motor mill. The sand to be used for preparing the lime mortar should be clean, fine and free from any organic impurities.
4. The ________________ consists of equal volumes of cement and sand.
b) Sand Mortar
c) Cement mortar
Explanation: The cement should comply with standard requirements and sand should be clean, fine and free from any organic impurities. The material are thoroughly mixed in dry condition before water is added to them.
5. _______________ type of Pointing is formed by steel or iron rod with a concave edge.
Explanation: The Beaded pointing is good in appearance. But it is difficult to maintain as it can be easily damaged.
6. _________________ type of pointing is formed by removing the excess motor from the joint.
Explanation: The joint is made flush with the face. This type of joint does not give good appearance. But it is durable at the does not provide any space for accumulation of dust, water, etc. and is extensively used.
7. ______________ type of pointing is kept vertical and it is placed inside the wall surface.
c) Vee pointing
Explanation: The face of the pointing is kept vertical and it is pressed inside the wall surface by a suitable tool to a depth of about 5 mm or more. Recessed pointing use very good appearance.
8. In ___________ type of pointing, the face of pointing is kept inclined.
Explanation: In Struck Pointing, the upper edge of joint is about 10 mm inside the face of masonry. This joint disposes water easily. In the lower edge of joint is kept inside the face of masonry. It is known as the overhead struck Pointing.
9. In ___________ type of pointing, a groove is formed at the centre of joint.
Explanation: In Tuck pointing, the width and depth of groove are respectively 5 mm and 3 mm. The groove is then filled in a tuck in by white cement putty with a projection of about 3 mm. If projection is done in the mortar, it is called as bastard pointing.
10. In __________________ type of pointing, a groove is formed at the centre of head by a pointer.
Explanation: Rubbed or Keyed or Grooved type of pointing use better appearance and is generally adopted. Whereas, Vee-pointing is a V shaped grooved is formed in the mortar joint.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction Materials Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.