This set of Building Construction Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Doors, Windows and Ventilators – Fixtures and Fastenings – 1”.
1. Which of the following is not a type of fixture or fastening for a door?
Explanation: The various types of fixtures and fastenings used for doors, windows and ventilators are hinges, handles, bolts, and locks. A frame is a component of the door fixed in the opening of the wall to which shutters are fixed.
2. Which of the following types of hinges are used where there are thin shutters?
a) Butt hinge
b) Strap hinge
c) Spring hinge
d) Back flap hinge
Explanation: Back flap hinge is used where there are thin shutters. The flanges of these type of hinges are wider than the flanges of the butt hinges.
3. One flange of the butt hinge is screwed to the edge of the door shutter while the other is screwed to the ____________ of the door frame.
Explanation: Butt hinges are used to fix doors and window shutters to the frame. One flange of the butt hinge is screwed to the the door shutter while the other flange is screwed to the rebate of the frame of the door.
4. The counter-flap hinge has two centres.
Explanation: A counter-flap hinge is formed in three parts. There are two centers in a counter-flap hinge.
5. Garnet hinge is also known as _________
Explanation: Garnet hinge is also known as T-shutter. This type of hinges is used for ledged and battened doors, ledged and braced doors etc. A garnet hinge has two arms. The long arm is screwed to the shutter while the short arm is screwed to the frame.
6. Nar-madi hinge is used for light doors.
Explanation: Nar-madi hinge is used for heavy doors. Other types of hinges that can be used for heavy doors are strap hinges, garnet hinges etc.
7. Rising butt hinges are provided with helical __________ joints.
Explanation: Rising butt hinges are provided with helical nickel joints. This raises the shutter by 10 mm on being opened. These types of hinges are used for doors of rooms having carpets. They are now replacing ordinary butt hinges.
8. Which of the following is a substitute of garnet hinge?
a) Pin hinge
b) Nar-madi hinge
c) Strap hinge
d) Butt hinge
Explanation: Strap hinge is a substitute of the garnet hinge. It is used for ledged and braced doors and other heavy doors such as for garages and stables.
Explanation: The above figure represents a pin hinge. This type of hinge is used for heavy door shutters. The centre pin of the hinge can be removed and the two leaves of the hinge can be fixed separately to the door frame and the door shutter.
Explanation: The above figure represents a parliamentary hinge. These types of hinges are used in the case of narrow openings and when it is needed to keep the opening free from any obstructions due to shutters.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Building Construction.
To practice all areas of Building Construction, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10