This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Characteristics of Varnishing”.
1. The term ____________ is used to indicate the solution of resins or resinous substances prepared either in alcohol, oil or turpentine.
Explanation: The main objectives of applying varnish on a wooden surface are- it brightens the appearance of grain in wood; it renders brilliancy to the painted surface; it protects the painted surface from atmospheric action; it protects the unpainted wooden surface of Doors, Windows, etc., from the action of atmospheric agencies.
2. The __________ is obtained by exudation of some types of insects in India.
Explanation: The commonly used resins are copal, lac or shellac and rosins. The copal is a hard substance and is available from the Earth at places near Pine trees exist in past. It is available in a variety of forms.
3. The Function of a __________ in varnish is to accelerate the process of drying.
Explanation: The function of a dryer in Varnish is to accelerate the process of drying. The common dryers used in vanishes are Litharge, white copper and lead acetate. Depending upon the nature of resin, the type of solvent is decided.
4. __________________ are specially adapted for exposed works which require frequent cleaning.
a) Oil Varnish
b) Spirit Varnish
c) Water Varnish
d) Turpentine Varnish
Explanation: The linseed oil is used as a solvent in oil vanishes. The hard resins such as Amber and Copal are dissolved in linseed oil and if the Varnish is not workable, a small quantity of turpentine is added. The oil vanishes dry slowly, but they form hard and durable surface for cleaning.
5. The methylated Spirits of wine are used as a solvent in __________
a) Spirit Varnish
b) Turpentine Varnish
c) Water Varnish
d) Oil Varnish
Explanation: The Spirit Varnish dry quickly. The resins are of soft variety such as Lac or shellac. But they are not durable and are easily affected by weathering actions.
6. The French polish is a variety of __________ class of varnish.
Explanation: The French polish is one of the finest finish for ornamental furniture prepared for superior quality of wood. The desired colouring tinge can be obtained by the addition of suitable colouring pigment in Spirit vanishes.
7. The turpentine is used as a solvent in ____________ type of Varnish.
Explanation: The resins adopted for turpentine varnishes are of soft variety such as gum dammar, Mastic and Rosen. These varnishes dry quickly and possess light colours. They are not durable and tough as oil vanishes.
8. The main objective of applying _____________ to the plastered surfaces is to create a smooth surface.
Explanation: The Distempers are available in the market under different trade names. They are cheaper than Paints and varnishes and they present a neat appearance. They are available in a variety of colours.
9. On drying, film of distemper ___________
Explanation: The distemper possesses the property of shrinkage on drying. Hence it leads to cracking and flaking, if the surface to receive distemper is weak. The coating of distemper are usually thick and they are more brittle than other types of water paints.
10. The _______________ are now widely used for developing decorative finishing of interior walls and they are made exclusively from paper.
c) Wall papers
d) Plaster of Paris
Explanation: Wall papers maybe unprimed, Primed, embossed, metal coated, etc. They are available in one colour or multi colour patterns printed on the face surface. The surface on which wallpaper is to be fixed is dried, levelled and make free from chalk or lime solution.
11. _________________ is commonly used for whitewashing.
Explanation: The fresh lime is slaked at site of work and mixed thoroughly with a sufficient quantity of water in a tub. It is then screened through a clean cloth. The clean gum dissolved in hot water is then added at the rate of 20 Newton per metre cube of lime. The rice may be used in place of gum.
12. ___________________ is prepared by adding the colouring pigment to the screened whitewash.
Explanation: The colourwash is applied in the same fashion as the White wash. A satisfactory work done not give out power when the finished surface is rubbed with the fingers. The process of colour washing imparts cleanliness and pleasant experience of the surface which are treated.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10