This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Excavating Equipments”.
1. _______________ is a self propelled machine which is used mainly to exert a powerful tractive force for pulling other machines.
c) Angle dozer
Explanation: When the tractor is not required for hauling other machines, it can be easily converted to serve as bulldozer, angle dozer, etc. The tractor are used for agriculture operations.
2. A _________ is a very useful equipment and it can be used for construction work like to clear the site of work, to make the land level, etc.
Explanation: Depending upon the mountains, bulldozer maybe crawler tractor mounted bulldozer or will tractor mounted bulldozer. The latter can attain higher travel speed on the job and can be moved on paved floor without causing damage to the floor.
3. The size of the bulldozer is indicated by the dimension of its _________
Explanation: Each Blade has a theoretical capacity of hauling a particular type of earth and knowing the number of turns a bulldozer will make in a given time, the approximate output of a bulldozer can be activated.
4. A ________________ can be used on wet ground and in all conditions of weather.
Explanation: By suitable attachments to the bulldozer, it can be utilized to remove trees, rocks, Boulder, etc. In order to increase the output, two Bulldozers working side by side with their blades in contact, can be used.
5. A ____________ is used to level the ground and spreads the loose material.
Explanation: Grader is a self propelled at home by a tractor. It consists of 3 to 4 M long angled blade supported on a Framework mounted on wheels. It performs various operations like grading, spreading, side cutting and mixing of materials.
6. A Grader which is told by a tractor is known as _________
a) Tractor grader
b) Motor grader
d) Elevating grader
Explanation: The self propelled greater is known as motor grader. For grading the machine moves forward and steering in controlling by Steering wheel.
7. _______________ consists of a large bucket which is attached to a tractor.
Explanation: The capacity of scrapper varies from 3 M cube to 9 M cube. The scrap as a cutting edge or blade and the bottom and it is possible to dig earth to a depth of about 250 mm.
8. ________________ are usually mounted on two or four pneumatic tyred wheels.
Explanation: An apron is provided in front of the container which opens and close in order to regulate the flow of earth in and out of the container. Scrapers are capable of producing a very smooth and accurate formation level.
9. __________________ type of scraper consists of a four wheeled scrapper bowl towed behind crawler Power unit.
a) Three axle
b) Two axle
c) Crawler drawn
d) Four axle
Explanation: Capacities of a scrapper bowl ranges from 3 metre cube to 50 metre cube. The speed of operation is governed by the speed of towing vehicle, which is 8 km per hour, when hauling, and 3 km per hour, when scrapping.
10. An _______________ is an oldest type of machine which removes earth.
Explanation: Excavator performs it work of moving the earth while the main unit is stationary. The title effort is required to move the dead weight of earth in a vertical plane.
11. _________________ type of excavator used for digging the foundation trenches below operating level.
c) Power shovel
Explanation: Back trench hoe excavator can also be used for the excavation of smaller areas such as basement, footing and trenches. The hoe is an instrument for scrapping, digging and losing the earth.
12. _________________ type of excavator is used for digging below, at or above operating level in a vertical range.
d) Back trench
Explanation: The Clamshell excavator are widely used for rehandling of material and for working in Limited space as in case of foundation trenches for pipelines, etc. It is also used for jobs which require fairly accurate dumping and disposal of material.
13. ________________ type of excavator carries Shovel at its lower end.
a) Power shovel
Explanation: Power shovel excavator is used to dig at or above the operating level. It can handle loose rock and the material caught in the shovel can be suitably disposed off.
14. __________________ type of excavator is used for digging at or below the operating level.
c) Power shovel
Explanation: The various types of dragline excavator are available and the factor affecting the output of a dragline excavator are- the size and type of bucket, the depth of cutting, length of boom and the angle of Swing.
15. ________________ type of excavator carries the skimmer at its lower end.
Explanation: Skimmer is used for surface excavation and levelling and it cuts the surface of earth to a depth of about 200 mm to 300 mm. The skimmer excavator can also be used for loading the loose excavated material.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.