This set of Construction & Building Materials Problems focuses on “Drilling and Road Making Equipments”.
1. _________________ drilling has rapidly become an inexpensive alternative to outdated mechanical hole drilling methods.
Explanation: Laser drilling provides consistency for manufacturing specifications relying on tight tolerance for high depth to diameter ratios. Laser drilling hole sizes vary depending on laser power, Motion Control and galvo system. Rapid prototyping is particularly adaptable to wide range of hole sizes.
2. __________________ laser drilling uses a rapid fire burst of pulses micro-machining method.
Explanation: Varying the laser pulse duration, spot size, optics and beam characteristics Percussion laser drilling produces a high quality hole with minimum residue and consistent edge quality from entry to exit point. The percussion laser drilling evaporates the machine substrate laser by laser without noticeable strata or striations.
3. ____________________ laser drilling is a method used to remove a cylindrical Core, or circular disc from a substrate.
Explanation: Unlike percussion laser drilling, the position of the beam or substrate is moved in conjunction with a predetermined laser beam overlap to achieve the desired edge quality and production through out. Less overlap trepanning laser drilling increases through out but produces more jagged edge quality.
4. ______________________ is used to heat bitumen before it is applied on the road surface.
b) Concrete mixer
d) Bitumen boiler
Explanation: Bitumen boiler is mounted on wheel and can be transferred from one place to other. Whereas, Concrete mixer is used to prepare concrete for cement concrete roads.
5. ______________ is mainly used for grading purpose.
Explanation: Dozer is of three types- bulldozer is used to push the material in the forward direction. Angle Dozer is used to push the materials sideways. Tree Dozer or stumper contains a slightly curved blade and it is design for felling trees and for unrooting the stumps.
6. __________________ is used for designing the old road to a predetermined depth.
c) Road roller
Explanation: Scraper contents teeth which are known as Tynes. Grader is used for spreading lose material, constructing Earth roads and for giving shape to the subgrade. It is either self propelled or is towed by tractor.
7. ________________ is used for rolling and compacting the subgrade, the base and the surface of many types of roads.
c) Road roller
d) Concrete mixer
Explanation: Various types of Road rollers such as pneumatic roller or oil rollers, Sheep’s feet roller, etc. are available to suit the requirements of different types of road.
8. __________________ is used for carrying out the earth work operation of a road.
Explanation: Scraper contains of scoops with a cutting edge. The excavated material is collected in the body of scrapper or bucket and it is then removed at the place of dumping. Tractor is mainly used to exert a powerful tractive force for towing other machines and equipment.
9. _____________________ are the bits used for drilling ceramic tiles and glass with a ground tungsten carbide tip.
a) Flat wood bits
b) Countersink bits
c) Tile bits
d) Carbide insert bits
Explanation: Tile bits can be used with the hand drill, but are best used in a variable speed power drill on slow speed. When drilling glass, some form of lubricant like turpentine or white spirit should be used to keep the tip cool. Ceramic tiles can be drilled using a masonry bit if it is used at slow speed.
10. _________________ are intended for power drilling use only, the centre point locates the bit and the flat steel on either side cuts away the timber.
a) Wood auger bits
b) Timber bits
c) Carbide insert bits
d) Flat wood bits
Explanation: Flat wood bits are used to drill fairly large holes and they give a flat bottom hole, so are ideal where the head of screw or bolt needs to be recessed into the timber. Always use these bits before drilling the clearance hole for the Bolt.
11. ______________________ are used for cutting large, fixed diameter holes in a wood or plastic.
a) Carbide insert bits
b) Wood auger bits
c) Hole saw bits
d) Wooden bits
Explanation: Hope saw bits usually cut up to a depth of 18 mm. They are best used in a power drill at low speed. Their sharpening can be done with a fine triangular file. To cut large hole combination holes of bits with the number of different size round saw blades are used.
12. ____________________ are ideal for drilling large diameter and deep holes in wood or thick man-made boards.
a) Wood auger bits
b) Masonry bits
c) Spur point bits
d) Countersink bits
Explanation: Generally a auger bit should only be used in hand brace. The single spur cuts and defines the edge of the hole while the chisel like cutting edge remove the waste within the previously cut circle. The threaded centre bites into the wood and pulls the bit into the timber.
13. _____________________ bits are used when some rocks are so abrasive that steel bits have to be replaced after they have been drilled only few centimetres of hole.
a) Carbide insert bits
b) Tile bits
c) Bullet pilot point bits
d) Spur point bits
Explanation: The actual drilling points in case of carbide insert bits consists of a very hard metal, tungsten carbide, which is embedded in steel. These bits are considerably more expensive than Steel bits.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction & Building Materials Problems, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.