This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Arches Technical Terms”.
1. An _______ is a structure which is constructed to span across an opening.
Explanation: Arches generally consist of small wedge shaped unit which are joined together with mortar. However the arches made of steel and RCC are built in single units without the use of wedge shaped unit and they are used for the bridge construction.
2. ________ is the inner surface of Arch.
Explanation: Soffit is the inner surface of the arch. Sometimes the terms, extrados and Soffit are treated as synonymous. Whereas, Intrados is the inner curve of the arch.
3. _______ is the inclined or splayed surface on the abatement.
Explanation: Skewback is prepared to receive the arch and from it, springs the arch. Whereas, Back is the external curve of an Arch.
4.______ is the first voussoir and springing level on the other side of an arch and it is immediately adjacent to the skewback.
Explanation: Voussoirs are the wedge shaped unit forming the courses of an arch. Whereas, Abutment is the end support of an arch.
5. _____ is the wedge shaped unit at the Crown of an arch.
Explanation: Key is sometimes made prominent by making out of a larger section and projecting it below and above the outlines of an arch.
6. ______ is the clear vertical distance between the highest point on the intrados and springing line.
Explanation: Whereas, Span is the clear horizontal distance between the supports. And Centre is the geometrical centre of the curve of an arch.
7. _________ is the lower half portion of the arch between the crown and the skewback.
Explanation: Whereas, Spandril is the irregular triangular space formed between the extrados and the horizontal line drawn tangent to the crown.
8. The horizontal distance measured perpendicular to the front and back faces of an arch is known as the _________
Explanation: Whereas, Ring is the circular course forming an arch. And Piers are the intermediate supports of an Arcade.
9. ______ is a row of arches supporting a wall above and being supported by the piers.
Explanation: Whereas, Crown is the highest point of the extrados. The Springing line is the imaginary horizontal line joining the two springing points.
10. The projecting course at the upper part of a Pier or an abutment to stress the springing line is called as the _____
c) Springing Point
Explanation: Whereas, Springing Points are the points from which the curve of an arch Springs. And Height is the perpendicular distance between the Intrados and extrados.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.