This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Types of Stairs”.
1. A _________ is a sloping surface and it is adopted as a substitute for stair for easy connection between the floors.
Explanation: The usual slope of Ramp is 1 in 15. But a slope of 1 in 10 is desirable. This indicates that the ramp requires more space. For instance, total length of 45 M of ramp will be required to connect the floor of height of 3 m with slope and 1 in 15.
2. In ________ all steps lead in one direction only.
a) Turning steps
b) Circular steps
c) Straight steps
d) Geometrical steps
Explanation: Straight steps consist of one or more flights and they are used when the space available for staircase is long but narrow in width.
3. A Stair turning through one right angle is known as a _______ stair.
a) Quarter- turn
d) Open navel
Explanation: Quarter Turn steps are commonly used in public buildings near their entrance hall. The stairs has a wider flight at the bottom which bifurcates into two narrower flights at the landing, one turning to the left and other to the right.
4. A Stair turning through two right angles is known as a _________ stair.
Explanation: In case of Dog-legged stairs, the flight run in opposite directions and there is no space between them in plan. These stairs are useful where the total width of space available for the staircase is equal to twice the width of the steps.
5. In case of _______ stair, there is a well or hole or opening between the flights in plan.
b) Three Quarter Turn
c) Open Newel
Explanation: In Open Newel stair, the well maybe rectangular or of any geometrical shape and it can be used for fixing lifts. These stairs are useful where the available space for staircase has a width greater than twice the width of the steps.
6. A Stair turning through three right angles is known as a ________ stair.
a) Three Quarter Turn
b) Two Quarter Turn
c) Four Quarter Turn
d) Single Quarter Turn
Explanation: In Three Quarter Turn, an open well is formed. This type of stair is used when the length of the stairs Limited and when the vertical distance between the two floors is quite large.
7. In _____ types of stairs, the steps radiate from the centre and they do not have either any landing or any intermediate Newel post.
Explanation: In Circular or Helical or Spiral types of stairs, the flight consists of winders only and they may be continued through any design number of turns. A spiral stair may be constructed of cast iron, mild steel or concrete.
8. The _______ stairs are useful where the space available is limited and where the traffic is less.
Explanation: The core of spiral stair maybe solid and hollow and the stair may be provided with cut or closed strings. The height of the floor and riser respectively 3.68 M and 160 mm.
9. ______ stairs have any geometrical shape and they require no newel posts.
Explanation: The handrail of a geometrical stair continuous without interruption and without any angular turns. The construction of geometrical stairs required considerable skill and it is found that a geometrical stairs weaker than corresponding open newel stair.
10. The stairs which are kept in motion by a revolving drum is known as a _______
b) Revolving Stairs
Explanation: These stairs are known as the escalators a were moving flights of electrically operated stairs. A few steps at top and bottom are kept level through moving individually. The only thing a person has to do is to occupy a step of escalator for his upward and downward motion.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.