This set of Construction and Building Materials Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Superstructure”.
1. _______ is the part of building constructed above the plinth level.
Explanation: Superstructure is constructed of above the plinth level which consists of RCC walls and columns, upper floors, sills, Lintels, etc. Whereas, substructure is a part of building constructed below the plinth level which consists of foundation plinth, etc.
2. In order to secure superstructure from earthquake, _________ technique is most preferred and used worldwide.
b) Base Isolation
c) Energy Dissipation
d) Sesmic Dampers
Explanation: Base Isolation technique separates the building from the building foundation by wearing pads. It consists of lead rubber bearing or spherical sliding isolation system. In case of an earthquake, fix base building deform and damaged, whereas base isolated building rocks back and forth like a boat and reduce the shock by 60%.
3. In old times, the construction of superstructure was done by using _________ building material.
Explanation: Timber floor consists of Plank of wood with 25 mm thickness which is supported by joist with size of 50 mm×75 mm to 100 mm. Timber was most preferred building material as compared to bamboo as Timber was cheap and easily available.
4. __________ wall is constructed in order to support load other than its own.
a) Load supporting
b) Load distributing
c) Load bearing
d) Load releasing
Explanation: Load bearing walls support all loads before transferring them to the foundation the wall thickness is not money not less than one break or 215 mm. This wall also uses reinforcement Steel bars to strengthen its position.
5. In architecture, _________ refers to such super-structural element that also has certain proportional and decorative features.
Explanation: Early columns were constructed of stone, some out of a single piece of stone, usually by turning on a lathe-like apparatus. Single piece columns are among the heaviest stones used in architecture. Modern columns are constructed out of Steel, precast concrete, or brick.
6. ________ are structural members design to carry and transfer transverse loads across space to support elements.
Explanation: A beam is a structural element that is capable of withstanding load primarily by resisting bending. The bending force introduced into the material of the bean as a result of external loads, own weight and external reactions to these loads is called a bending moment.
7. In architecture, a _________ is generally the lower horizontal surface of a room, and/or the supporting structure underneath it.
Explanation: A floor typically consists of a support structure called a sub-floor on the top of which is laid a floor covering to provide a working surface. The floor is actually constructed above the plinth.
8. ______ is the top most part of building which provides covering to the entire assembly and the occupants.
d) Parapet wall
Explanation: Roof is one of the most important building structures which provides safety and protect occupants from sun light, storms and rain. Basic types of a room designs are Flat roof, Shed roof, Gable roof, Hip roof, etc.
9. __________ is special material used to make sure that no moisture leaks in those areas of a roof that are particularly vulnerable to penetration.
Explanation: Flashing is a strip of metal used to stop water penetrating the junction of a roof with another surface. Areas where flashing is commonly used: where roofs meet walls, wherever the roof is pierced by a Chimney, skylight, air or plumbing vent.
10. ________ is the structural method to maintain the favourable room temperature in every season of the year.
c) Air conditioning
Explanation: Because hot air rises, roof lose more heat than walls and does require greater degree of insulation. There is a multitude of different locations for the insulation in a roof such as resting above ceiling, attached between rafters, between substrate and roofing, etc.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction and Building Materials, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.