This set of Building Construction Question Bank focuses on “Non-Ferrous Metals and Alloys – 2”.
1. Which of the following elements is not present in dow metal?
Explanation: Dow metal is an important alloy of magnesium. It consists of 4-12 % aluminium, 0.1-0.4 % of manganese and the rest is magnesium.
2. Which of the following elements is not present in electron metal?
Explanation: Electron metal is an alloy of magnesium which consists of zinc, magnesium and small percentages of copper, silicon and iron. The percentage of zinc present is 4%.
3. Nickel silver is also known as _________
a) Spanish Silver
b) German Silver
c) Indian Silver
d) Asian silver
Explanation: Nickel silver is an alloy of nickel which is also known as German Silver. It is basically a brass in which nickel is added. Therefore, it consists of copper, zinc and nickel.
4. Which of the following is an alloy of nickel?
a) Dow metal
b) Monel metal
c) Bell metal
Explanation: There are two main important alloys of nickel. These are Monel metal and nickel silver. Monel metal consists of copper and small percentages of other elements.
5. Which of the following does not contain zinc?
a) Speculum metal
c) Delta metal
d) Muntz metal
Explanation: Delta metal and Muntz metal are the common varieties of brass which contain zinc. Gunmetal is a variety of bronze but forms an exception to their general rule and contains 2-4 % of zinc. Speculum metal does not contain zinc.
6. The percentage of copper and tin in bell metal is _______ and _________ respectively.
a) 18%, 82%
b) 82%, 18%
c) 36%, 64%
d) 64%, 36%
Explanation: Bell metal is a variety of bronze which is used for making bells. The percentage of copper and tin in bell metal is 82% and 18% respectively.
7. Molybdenum steel consists of molybdenum and _________
Explanation: Molybdenum steel consists of molybdenum and manganese. It contains molybdenum to the extent of about 0.2-0.3 % and that of manganese is 0.7-1%.
8. The composition of phosphor bronze is _________
a) 1% phosphorus, 10% tin and 89% copper
b) 89% phosphorus, 10% tin and 1% copper
c) 1% phosphorus, 89% tin and 10% copper
d) 10% phosphorus, 1% tin and 89% copper
Explanation: The composition of phosphor bronze is 1% phosphorus, 89% tin and 10% copper. Phosphor bronze is hard and strong and resists corrosion by sea water.
9. Manganese bronze consists of copper and tin.
Explanation: Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin but manganese bronze consists of copper and zinc. The percentage of copper is generally from 56-60 and the rest is zinc. Other elements like manganese, lead, aluminium and iron are also added.
10. The percentage composition of copper and tin in speculum metal is _________
a) 33% and 67%
b) 67% and 33%
c) 26% and 74%
d) 74% and 26%
Explanation: The percentage composition of copper and tin in speculum metal is 67% and 33% respectively. Speculum metal is silvery in colour and is used in making telescopes.
11. The percentage of the copper content in copper steel varies from ________
Explanation: The percentage of the copper content in copper steel varies from 0.15-0.25. Copper steel is a common variety of steel alloys that can resist atmospheric resistance better than ordinary carbon steel.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Building Construction.
To practice Building Construction Question Bank, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Buy Construction and Building Materials Books
- Apply for Civil Engineering Internship
- Apply for Construction and Building Materials Internship
- Buy Civil Engineering Books
- Practice Civil Engineering MCQs