This set of Building Construction Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Brick Partitions”.
1. Which of the following is not a type of brick partitions?
a) Plain brick partitions
b) Reinforced brick partitions
c) Brick nogging partitions
d) Brick concrete partitions
Explanation: Brick partitions are the cheapest type of partitions which makes them very common. There are three types of brick partitions. These are plain brick partitions, reinforced brick partitions, and brick nogging partitions.
2. Plain brick partitions are ______ brick thick.
c) One and a half
Explanation: Plain brick partitions are generally half brick thick. In plain brick partitions, the wall is plastered on both its sides and is quite strong.
3. Reinforced brick partitions are weaker than the ordinary brick partitions.
Explanation: Reinforced brick partitions are much stronger than the ordinary brick partitions. Hence, they are used when the partition wall has to carry and support self-imposed loads in addition to its own weight.
4. In reinforced brick partitions, exmet is provided at every __________ course of the reinforcement.
Explanation: In reinforced brick partitions, reinforcement consists of steel meshed strips which are known as exmet or expanded metal. It is provided at every third course of the reinforcement.
5. The thickness of half brick is __________
a) 5 cm
b) 10 cm
c) 15 cm
d) 20 cm
Explanation: Thickness of half brick is 10 cm. In all the types of brick partitions, the thickness of the wall is kept half brick thick i.e. 10 cm thick.
6. Which of the following is not a component of the framework used in brick nogging partitions?
Explanation: In brick nogging partitions, a timber framework is used. The components of this framework are sill, head, stud and noggings. Bricktor is a type of meshed reinforcement.
7. The horizontal members provided in the framework of brick nogging partitions are called __________
a) Nogging pieces
Explanation: In brick nogging partitions, the framework is provided with members at both horizontal and vertical levels. The horizontal members are called nogging pieces and the vertical members are called studs.
8. In the framework of brick nogging partitions, studs are spaced at _________ times the length of the brick.
Explanation: In the framework of brick nogging partitions, studs are spaced at 4-6 times the length of the brick. The framework imparts stability to the partitions against lateral loads. The bricks are generally laid flat.
9. In brick nogging partitions ___________ is used for coating the surface of the timber framework coming in contact with the brickwork.
a) Coal tar
Explanation: In brick nogging partitions, coal tar is used for coating the surface of the timber framework coming in contact with the brickwork. Cement mortar (1:3) is used to fill the joints.
10. Which of the following statements about reinforced brick partitions is false?
a) They are used when a better longitudinal bond is needed
b) They are used when a better lateral bond is needed
c) They are used when the partition has to support super-imposed loads
d) The thickness of the wall is kept equal to 10 cm
Explanation: In reinforced brick partitions, the thickness of the wall is kept equal to 10 cm. They are used when a better longitudinal bond is needed and when the partition has to support super-imposed loads.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Building Construction.
To practice all areas of Building Construction, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!