This set of Construction Materials Quiz focuses on “Mortar for Plastering”.
1. The term __________________ is used to describe the thin plastic covering that is applied on the surface of walls and ceilings.
Explanation: The exposed surfaces of walls are to be provided with pointing or plastering. The process of pointing is adopted for the stone masonry or brick masonry while plastering is carried out for exposed surfaces of ceilings, walls, columns, etc. The plastering removes the unevenness of the surface and sometimes the plastering is used to develop decorative effects.
2. The _______________ consists of an equal volume of lime and sand, and these two materials are carefully ground in a mortar mill.
a) Lime Mortar
b) Cement Mortar
c) Water proof mortar
d) Special mortar
Explanation: The fat lime is recommended for plaster work because the fat lime contains 75% of CaOH and it combines with CO2 of atmosphere and gives CaCO3 quickly. Thus, the lime sets quickly, but it imparts low strength and hence it can be used only for plaster work.
3. The ______________ contains particles which slake slowly as they come in contact with atmosphere.
a) Gugal mortar
b) Hydraulic Mortar
c) Cement mortar
d) Hump mortar
Explanation: Due to this, Hydraulic Mortar results into a blister on the surface known as blowing. The sand to be used for preparing this lime Mortar for plastering work should be clean, coarse and free from any organic impurities.
4. In order to improve the binding properties of mortar, kind of Fragrant gum ___________ is added to the lime mortar.
Explanation: The quantity of Gugal is about 16 Newton per metre cube of Mortar. The Gugal is boiled with enough quantity of fresh water before it is mixed with the lime mortar.
5. In order to improve the adhesive and tensile properties of the lime mortar, the _________ is added to the lime mortar.
a) Steel flake
b) Rubber gum
c) Carbon fibre
Explanation: The quantity of Hump is about 10 Newton per metre cube of mortar. The mortar thus prepared is kept for two days before use and it is turned once in a day to make the mortar of uniform nature.
6. The ________________ consists of one part of cement to four parts of clean, coarse and angular river sand by volume.
a) Lime Mortar
b) Water proof mortar
c) Cement mortar
d) Hydraulic Mortar
Explanation: In cement mortar, the materials are thoroughly mixed in a dry condition before water is added to them. The mixing of material is done on the watertight platform and the mortar of one cement bag only is prepared at a time and this quantity of mortar is consumed within 30 minutes after adding water.
7. ____________________ mortar is waterproof and consists of some quantity of pulverized alum.
a) Water proof
Explanation: Water proof mortar is waterproof and it is prepared by mixing one part of cement, two parts of sand and pulverized alum at the rate of 120 Newton per metre cube of sand. In the water to be used to, 0.75 Newton of soft soap is dissolved for one litre of water and this soap water is added to the dry mix.
8. ________________ is the ordinary trowel and it is useful for applying mortar to mouldings, Corners, etc.
a) Gauging trowel
b) Float trowel
c) Laying trowel
d) Pointed trowel
Explanation: Gauging trowel has a pointed or bull nosed end. Whereas, Laying trowel is used to spread the mortar on the surface. It is made of thin tempered Steel.
9. The wooden float is known as the ______________ and it is used for final or finishing coat of plaster.
a) Laying trowel
b) Devil float
c) Skimming float
d) Plumb Bob
Explanation: A float provided with nails projecting by about 3 mm from the surface is known as the Devil float and it is used to make Zig Zag lines on the plastered surface so as to form a key for the subsequent coat.
10. _______________ tool is used to check the level of plastered surface between the successive screeds.
b) Floating rule
c) Plumb Bob
Explanation: Plumb Bob tool is very much useful forming screeds in the same vertical plane. In addition to the above tools, other tools such as brushes, spirit level, Set Square, edges, etc. are used for the plastering work.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Construction and Building Materials.
To practice all areas of Construction Materials for Quizzes, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
Participate in the Sanfoundry Certification contest to get free Certificate of Merit. Join our social networks below and stay updated with latest contests, videos, internships and jobs!