This set of Building Construction Questions and Answers for Freshers focuses on “Definition of Technical Terms – 2”.
1. Intermediate rail is also known as ___________
a) Top rail
b) Bottom rail
d) Lock rail
Explanation: Intermediate rail is also known as a cross rail. A rail provided between the top rail and the lock rail is known as frieze rail.
2. __________ is the vertical face of an opening in the wall which supports the door frame.
Explanation: Jamb is the vertical face of an opening in the wall which supports the door frame. Jamb is essential in order to open the door properly. In case of a window, it is known as side jamb when it is along the sides of the window and when along the top, it is known as the head jamb.
3. The sill of a door is known as ________
Explanation: The sill of a door is known as threshold. It is a cross wooden piece and is provided only when necessary. A sill is usually not provided for a door and is generally provided only for a window.
4. ________ are used to fix the frame in the opening of the wall.
Explanation: Holdfasts are used to fix the frame in the opening of the wall. These are mild steel bars and their proper painting must be ensured before fixing them.
5. Holdfasts are generally bent into __________ shape.
Explanation: Holdfasts are generally bent into a Z shape. One end is fixed to the door frame and the other end is embedded in the wall. The minimum number of holdfasts recommended on each side of the door is generally three.
6. The horizontal length of the holdfast is ________
a) 5 cm
b) 10 cm
c) 20 cm
d) 25 cm
Explanation: The horizontal length of the holdfast is generally 20 cm. The dimensions of the section of the holdfast are 30 mm x 6 mm.
7. _________ is the depression created inside the door frame in order to receive the door shutter.
Explanation: Rebate is the depression created inside the door frame in order to receive the door shutter. The width of the rebate cut is about 12 mm and its depth is kept equal to the thickness of the shutter.
8. __________ is a vertical member of the frame used to subdivide a door vertically.
Explanation: Mullion is a vertical member of the frame used to subdivide a door or a window vertically. These are also used for the sub-division of panels in framed and panelled doors. The main function of a mullion is to provide support to the lintels and arches.
9. _________ is the external jamb of a door.
d) Hold fast
Explanation: Reveal is the external jamb of a door or a window. It opens at right angles to the face of the wall. In case of a window, these are the timber lines provided inside the window.
Explanation: The above figure is of a window. Here, C represents transom. It is a horizontal member of a window frame which is used to sub-divide the window opening horizontally. It is generally made of a wooden sheet. Also, in the figure above, A represents the head, B represents transom light, D represents panel and E represents rail.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Building Construction.
To practice all areas of Building Construction for Freshers, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Construction and Building Materials
- Participate in Construction and Building Materials Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Construction and Building Materials
- Take Construction and Building Materials Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10