This set of Materials Science Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Non-ferrous Alloys”.
1. Which of the metal if present will make the alloy ferrous?
Explanation: Ferrous metals are metals or alloys which contain iron as an element in it. Therefore Iron is the only ferrous metal among the given options presence of which will make the alloy ferrous.
2. Which of the following is costliest among the non ferrous materials?
Explanation: Titanium is the costlier than magnesium, aluminum and copper. This is why titanium has limited application even though it has strength to weight ratio and corrosion resistance.
3. Which of the following is the lightest among the following?
Explanation: Aluminum is the lightest among magnesium, titanium and copper. As it is light, it is used at a variety of places.
4. Which of the following element when alloyed with magnesium does not reduce the tendency to crack under stress?
Explanation: The correct answer is copper. Aluminum, silicon and zinc are alloyed with magnesium to reduce the tendency of magnesium to crack under stress.
5. Which of the following is an alloy of tin?
Explanation: Pewter is an alloy of 85 % – 99 % of tin with alloying elements like copper and lead traces.
6. Which of the metal is alloyed with silver to make sterling silver?
Explanation: Sterling silver is an alloy of silver to reduce its cost. It is an alloy with 90% of silver and 10% copper.
7. Tin has low viscosity.
Explanation: The above statement is true. Tin has low viscosity and therefore is a good material for casting application.
8. Which of the following is highly resistant to corrosion?
Explanation: Zinc is an element which is highly resistant to corrosion therefore it is used as an alloying material to form corrosion resistant alloys. It is also used in galvanization.
9. Monel is an alloy of nickel.
Explanation: The above statement is true. Monel is an alloy in which major element is nickel in which copper is added. Magnesium and iron can be added with a limit of 2% and 2.5 % respectively.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Materials Science.
To practice all areas of Materials Science, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.