This set of Casting Question Bank focuses on “Classification of Foundry Metals and Alloys”.
1. Which of the following is not a cast steel?
a) Low alloy steel
b) Magnesium alloy steel
c) Carbon steel
d) High alloy steel
Explanation: Cast steel are a further classification of foundry metals and alloys under ferrous metals and alloys, that is, having iron base. Low alloy steel, high alloy steel and carbon steel are cast steels, but not magnesium alloy.
2. Which of the following forms of iron is least malleable?
Explanation: Malleable irons are cast irons which are classified under iron base materials, under foundry metals and alloys. Among these phases of iron, the austenite phase of iron is measured to be showing the least amount of malleability.
3. Which among the following is not a cast iron?
a) White iron
b) Compacted graphite iron
c) Gray cast iron
d) Pig iron
Explanation: Among the following, white iron, compacted cast iron and gray cast iron are different types of cast irons, but pig iron is not. It is from pig iron, that cast irons are made, by re-melting them.
4. What is the amount of carbon present in low carbon steel?
a) Less than 0.5%
b) Less than 0.7%
c) Less than 0.4%
d) Less than 0.2%
Explanation: Low carbon steel has the lowest amount of carbon mixed with iron in the alloy. The amount of carbon present in low carbon steel is less than 0.2% and that of medium carbon steel has carbon composition of about 0.2% to 0.5%.
5. What is the amount of carbon present in high carbon steel?
a) More than 0.5%
b) More than 0.7%
c) More than 0.4%
d) More than 0.2%
Explanation: More than 0.5% amount of carbon present in high carbon steel.
6. Which among the following is a heavy metal?
a) Titanium base
b) Aluminium base
c) Zinc base
d) Magnesium base
Explanation: The given metal bases are all non-ferrous metal bases, which are classified under foundry metals and alloys. Among these, the only heavy metal is the zinc base, while all others are light metals.
7. Which of the following is a light metal?
a) Copper base
b) Lead base
c) Nickel base
d) Magnesium base
Explanation: Magnesium base is a light metal.
8. What is the amount of silicon present in cast carbon steels?
a) 0.25% – 0.6%
b) 0.25% – 0.8%
c) 0.45% – 0.9%
d) 0.45% – 0.1%
Explanation: The amount of silicon that is present in terms of percentage composition is found to be 0.25% to 0.8%. Elements like silicon and manganese are added in the steel alloys for the purpose of deoxidation.
9. What is the amount of manganese present in cast carbon steels?
a) 0.5% – 1.0%
b) 0.25% – 0.5%
c) 0.45% – 0.8%
d) 1% – 2%
Explanation: 0.5% – 1.0% amount of manganese present in cast carbon steels.
10. Chromium is added to stainless steel.
Explanation: Stainless steels are of three types, martensitic, ferritic and austenitic. Stainless steels are resistive to corrosion. These stainless steels contain chromium or nickel apart from its regular additives.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Casting.
To practice Casting Question Bank, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.
- Get Free Certificate of Merit in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Participate in Casting Forming and Welding II Certification Contest
- Become a Top Ranker in Casting Forming and Welding II
- Take Casting Forming and Welding II Tests
- Chapterwise Practice Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Chapterwise Mock Tests: Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10