This set of Professional Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Writing Instructions”.
1. Which of these is a set of instructions?
d) Operating manual
Explanation: A machine carries an operating manual. This is a list of instructions to a person who wishes to operate the machine.
2. Which of these do not have an operating manual?
d) Washing machines
Explanation: Operating manual is a list of instructions to a person who wishes to operate a machine. Household goods like washing machines, televisions, air-conditioners, etc..
3. An operating manual is the same as repairing manual.
Explanation: The statement is false. An operating manual is different from a repairing manual. A technical instruction must fulfill the purpose for which it is written.
4. Which of these must be avoided in an instruction?
b) Less words
Explanation: An instruction must state facts precisely and in as few words as is possible. It must be free from ambiguity and it must be imperative.
5. A technical instruction must begin with _______
a) an introduction
b) a figure
c) a drawing
d) a warning
Explanation: The correct statement is: A technical instruction must begin with an introduction which must tell the reader about the process and what needs to be done.
6. Which of these can be used for better understanding of an instruction?
a) Longer sentences
d) Complex words
Explanation: A technical instruction must be free from ambiguity and it must be imperative. Figures, drawings and photographs may be used to achieve better understanding.
7. Warnings against misuse should be included.
Explanation: The statement is true. Warnings against misuse or wrong use should be included to prevent damage or loss.
8. Which of these is advisable for instructions?
a) Long sentences
b) Detailed information
c) Imperative sentences
d) Complex sentences
Explanation: It is advisable to use imperative sentences. Instead of saying “The apparatus should be washed.”, it is better to say “Wash the apparatus.“
9. Which is the last step in a technical instruction?
Explanation: The sentences in an instruction should be short and simple. A conclusion may be included as a summary to what has been stated earlier.
10. Which of these words can be used for omission?
Explanation: Words like etc., normally, generally may be used to avoid possible omission of an essential feature.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Professional Communication.
To practice all areas of Professional Communication, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.